We are a nut free centre

We currently have children attending our centre with peanut allergies and tree nut allergies and that is why we ask that foods containing peanuts or nuts are not brought into the centre for example, peanut butter or Nutella sandwiches.

If nuts are used to make the food and are listed on the ingredient list then the food should not be brought into our centre as it poses a serious risk to the children with a nut allergy.  We cannot eliminate foods that “may contain nuts” as this is printed on lots of food packaging due to the fact that it may have been packed in a factory that contained nuts.

We thank you in advance for your cooperation and if you would like to know more about nut allergies please follow this link https://www.anaphylaxis.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Peanut-v7-formatted-with-new-logo.pdf

Water Play with Tubes

Today in our outdoor area children were excited to place the tubes into the bars and pour water into them. They watched the water spouting in all different directions.  They had great fun filling the tubes and trying to collect the water as it gushed out. They used a variety of containers to fill, pour and collect water. Children practiced filling, transferring and pouring using different sized containers too.

“I can read instructions and build tubes all by myself”.
“we can build it together”

” Look at water coming through tiny holes!”.

Forest School Week 5

The Wednesday group are very interested in the insects that live in the woodland.  They went looking for them and then decided to make a home for them.

They gathered sticks, leaves and other items from the forest floor to create a home at the bottom of a tree.

The Thursday morning group learned about how to make a safe fire in the forest.  There is always a fire surround made from sticks that establishes the fire area and ensures that the fire is a safe distance from the children.  Fire safety forms an important part of the Forest School Leader Training.

Once the fire was established the children used their whittled sticks to toast a marshmallow on the fire.

On the way into the forest the children heard a loud sawing noise and noticed people up in the trees cutting branches.  We talked about the job of a tree surgeon and why they need to cut branches sometimes.

The Thursday afternoon group made a raft to sail on the river.   You can see the launch in this video.

Video FS 14 PM

The children in this group also learned about fire and whittled sticks to toast their marshmallows.

The trees at this part of the walkway have been felled to allow a greater view of the river and viaduct.  We love to stop and look at this view each week as it changes so much but is always inspiring.

Boat Building at Rouken Glen Park

Last week we took a trip to Rouken Glen Park.

We met with Katy who is a Ranger in the park and we designed and built our own boats.

Katy showed us a boat that she had built and then we had a go at building our own using different junk materials.

We put plastic on the bottom of our boats as we wanted them to be water proof.

Katy took us down to the water. She went into the water and we watched from the side.

Katy put our boats into the water and they raced down the stream to the finishing line. Some boats got stuck and Katy had to rescue them with her net.

We had a great time.

Happy Valentine’s Day!

Today in the art area the children have been showing their creativity through using a variety of media to create their own Valentine’s crafts. The children have been talking about the people that they love and the reasons why they love them.

The children made collage love hearts, Valentines day cards and love bugs for their someone special using different pink and red materials.

”I love my mummy because she gives me hugs”
”i love my daddy because he makes me laugh”
”i love my mummy, shes happy”
”i love my mummy, my daddy and Emily, they are my family”

”I love my daddy because he plays games with me”

We can make patterns!

As our numeracy focus this term is patterns,  children used transient art with pom poms to copy and complete a simple pattern.

To provide challenge for the children, we introduced tweezers for them to pick up the pom poms.  This helps to develop their pincer grip and fine motor control.

”this pattern is green and pink”
”this one is quite tricky but i can do it”

”I can make this pattern, pink, yellow”

Learning from our centre to home

We carried out a parental engagement survey which closed just before Christmas.  We are working through the comments and suggestions that you have told us could improve our centre and we thank you for the positive feedback we also received about what is going well within our centre.

Parents commented that they would like to know more about what their child is learning and how they can support their child at home.  We have produced parent information sheets which give an overview of the learning focus in the curriculum areas of literacy, numeracy and health and wellbeing for this term.  Please click on the links below to view the information sheets and please let us know what you think about these by sending us an email to schoolmail@cartmill.e-renfrew.sch.uk

Health & Wellbeing Information Jan 2019

Literacy Information Jan 2019

Numeracy Information Jan 2019

Chinese New Year

The children in the toddler room have enjoyed learning about Chinese New Year and Chinese culture. They had sensory fun trying to find number cards hidden in the coloured noodles. The cards had pictures of pigs on them as 2019 is the year of the pig! The children also had sticky fun making their own coloured Chinese dragons. At snack time they sampled some traditional Chinese food and explored this with chopsticks. Everyone joined in and had a taste. The prawn crackers were a definite favourite!! Yummy!!