Please think!

We are offering a service to frontline parents for their children this week from Netherlee Nursery. It is important to think before you bring your child/children to us – can you or a partner stay at home to look after the children?

We are classed as an emergency service during these unprecedented times so we are prioritising NHS staff , Emergency Services and Education Staff.  Please only use us if you have no other option and need to go to work in the above mentioned services.

The clear message from the government is “stay at home”. Please take at this helpful flowchart chart.

Healthier Minds

The  aim of this Healthier Minds Resource is to help parents find the information you need to develop children and young people’s talents and abilities in a way that will support them to meet life’s common challenges, develop their resilience, and have healthier minds as a result.  The links below will take you a video explaining why this resource has been developed and to the healthier minds resources.

https://youtu.be/uUyhOO0zhjY

https://blogs.glowscotland.org.uk/er/healthierminds

The resource has been developed by East Renfrewshire’s Educational Psychologists. There is more information on the resources and supports available in the booklet for parents below.

Healthier Minds parents’ document final

Staying in and staying safe!

We are keeping ourselves busy, healthy and fit both indoors and outdoors.
In the morning we are working out with Joe Wicks PE sessions  (really a chance for my 3 children to laugh at me trying to get fit)

Getting out daily for a walk or bike ride, using the trampoline or shooting some Hoops with the basketball.

Jamie and I cut the grass yesterday another little work out!

In the nursery the children enjoy ‘Jump Start Johnny’, it’s available on you tube and are doing a work out for children and parents everyday.

We have birthday celebrations in our house today .
We decided to make Marc some very special birthday cards.
Looking forward to some cake later  🍰
Please stay at home and stay safe!

Rainbow science with Linzi 🌈

Hi everyone!

I hope you are all well. I’m missing your wee faces and funny stories ❤️

Today I’ve been trying out some rainbow science with my kids, Seren and Keir.  I know how much the children at Cart Mill love our science investigations so, here are 2 easy ones to try at home with everyday items.

Seren got a sheet of kitchen roll and drew on it with different coloured pens – she did shapes to add a bit of numeracy into this activity – then she drew over them with black ink.

Pop it on a tray as you are about to get messy 

Keir used a spray bottle to squirt water on the shapes (good for fine motor skill development) however you can use anything so long as your wee one can drip water onto each shape.

What colour will appear?

Just like magic, every spray revealed a colour. The paper absorbed the water, moving the colour with it.  Keir enjoyed it so much we did it again with faces.

Next we tried to grow our own rainbow. Seren got another bit of kitchen roll and drew rainbow colours on each end.

She placed it into an arch shape using two cups and tried to guess what would happen. Keir poured water into each cup.

Good for hand-eye co-ordination

We watched as our rainbow grew 🌈

Look at those colours

Keir was able to relate what happened back to our previous activity and he understood the “water maked it move”.

Why don’t you guys give this a go at home and tweet us a picture of your rainbow science 🌈

Take care and stay safe, Linzi x

Sign a Rainbow with Fiona -BSL

Hello everyone,

I hope you are all well and coping with being indoors. I know it can be tough but I am very much looking at the positives of getting to spend more time with my son. My little boy, Arlo, is deaf and has developmental delays, so we are using this time to brush up on our BSL skills. We are only beginners ourselves but I thought this would be a good opportunity to share some basic signs with you.

Sign language is vitally important and it makes such a huge difference to the deaf community when people know just a couple of basic signs to help deaf children and adults feel included.

I would be happy to make more videos if people are interested.

Anyway, to keep things simple, I thought we would start with “good morning”, “good night”, “please”, “thank you” and for a bit of fun, I have signed “Sing a Rainbow” as well.

Good morning

Good night

Please / Thank you – It is the same sign for both please and thank you but the lip pattern (simply saying the words) is different

♬ Sing a Rainbow 

I hope you enjoy, please stay safe and I am looking forward to seeing you all soon

Bookbug at Home

Hello everyone, hello everyone glad that you could come!

Everyone enjoys a Bookbug session did you know you can download the Bookbug app to do your own sessions at home.

Children love stories and singing this helps to support your child’s language, learning and social skills.

Why not try it today, there is a great selection of songs on the app in both English and Gaelic if your feeling brave.

In these unusual times just have fun with it.

Goodbye everyone, goodbye everyone glad that you could come!