Mouse Shapes!

In preparation for Maths Week Scotland next week, we have been busy in the Discovery Room exploring and developing our knowledge of  shapes!

Through use of our shape mats, we have investigated shapes we are familiar with and have been asking lots of questions about shapes we haven’t seen before.

Utilising our  colour recognition and problem solving skills as well as our shape knowledge, we were able to carefully place the correct shape on the corresponding place on our mats!

“The blue square goes here”

”This is the triangle. It’s green”

“I don’t know what this one is”

”Do you like my butterfly?”

Creating an invitation to explore our Mouse Shape book, provided the opportunity for us to further develop our shape knowledge.

We demonstrated our excellent shape and colour knowledge by correctly matching our shapes to the corresponding picture and to the pictures in our book. Some of us were able to name the shapes and some of us matched them by using our colour recognition.

We decided to add some additional resources such as pens, paper and additional shapes.  This allowed us to practice our mark making skills to draw our own shapes and copy the names. We decided to use different shapes to create our own mouse and cat!

“I used triangles for the teeth, circles for the eyes and the white ones for ears”

To challenge ourselves further, we introduced blocks into our learning. We were able to transfer our shape knowledge and problem solving skills to choose the correct shaped blocks to create our own mouse and cat! We are so creative and learned that a cylinder is a 3d shape that looks just like a circle.

“I’m making the mouse. I’m using the rectangle to make it stand up”

”Let’s make the mouse. The big triangles are the teeth.  The circles are the nose. The big one’s are the hair”