Support

Suggestions

Reporting Bugs and Problems

If you think you have found an issue or problem with the blog service it is worth looking at out Known Issues
New Issues & Workarounds.

If you need to report an issue you can raise it through your Local Authority with the RM help desk.

We will also pass any comment left on this blog to the RM help desk, but this might take a little longer.

Reporting Problems – Details

• It can help or Support and Developer Team if you take screenshots of problems that you find.
  • It is also a good idea to include the URL (web address) of the blog you have an issue with.
  • Finnaly if you know the opperating system (eg Windows 7), browser (e=g Chrome 30) and  versions if you know them these can help.

If you do not know how to take a screenshot  you might find http://www.take-a-screenshot.org/ or WordPress.com’s Advice helpful.

Support with Using Glow Blogs

If you need help with any aspect of using Glow Blogs you may find information here that will help. The search facility may be useful.

If you do not find what you want we will try and answer any comments here promptly. It may help other users if you find an appropriate post or page to add your comment, as hopefully any answer will be a resource for other users too.

Alternatively fill in this form and we will get back to you via email.

66 thoughts on “Support”

1. Hi
    How would I delete a blog that is no longer in use such as the URL I have given. This was created in the old glow groups by myself for a colleague no long teaching at our school. We have several similar blogs like this either created but seldom used or the teacher has moved on. I don’t see any option to delete as described in blog notes which I assume relate to blogs created after migration rather than ones created in old glow groups. I was not able to delete these blogs prior to lockdown as in many cases they were still being used.

2. Hi
    I started a blog on word press at the beginning of the year for my Early Years Class. At this point I was unaware that I could blog on glow.

Now all the changes have been made I was wondering if I could import my existing blog onto glow. I don’t want to have to start again.

Are you able to help?

Thanks

Sarita Taggart
    Lead Practitioner
    St. Bridget’s Early Years Class

3. Hi Sheena,
    If you are an admin of the blog you should be able to delete it no matter if it was made before the migration.
    If you are not an admin and can’t contact one you can request the blog is deleted byhaving your LA representative rasing a call with the RM help desk.

4. Hi Sarita,
    You can export your blog from WordPress.com to an xml file and import it to a glow blog.

Both export and import functions can be found in the tools section of the blogs dashboard.

5. Hello, I am trying to embed a google calendar on to our school blog. When I paste the html code in to the edit box with the html tab selected and then click on the visual tab, the calendar appears. However, when I click to update/save the page the html code / calendar disappears. This happens with firefox and google chrome.
    Thank you,
    Sarah

1. Hi Sarah,
      The html for google calendar will be an iframe, like most blogging services, glow blogs do not support iFrames.

Update: Glow Blogs now supports ‘google calendar widgets’ through a plugin.

6. Im having problems with the new format. I have an ‘add media’ button on my account however, the children do not have this button on any of their accounts. Where will I find this button so that they can also upload media/ pictures?

1. Hi Roland,
      Yes.
      On the Dashboard got to Tools->Delete Site.
      You will have to make sure that the email address in Settings->General is correct as the Delete Site will ask for email confirmation.

7. I am looking for a way to add a calendar of events to our school website and wondered if anyone has any ideas on how best to do this? From what I can see there is EventBrite, but this doesn’t seem to be an option in Glow.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

8. Hi,
    Thank you to your input last week John, I am well on the way with out school blog website. However, I am wanting to embed a few documents so that they can be read within a page rather than as a link. I see that there are a number of plugins available but I cannot appear to add them. I was able to get the functionality I was looking for through uploading the document to Scribd but this isn’t a free service so not a line I want to pursue. Any help would be great! Thanks

9. I have received a message from a colleague saying she is getting the following error message when trying to access Glow blogs through the tile:
    “Something has gone wrong. If this keeps happening, please contact support with the following, and how to re-create it:
    Code: 26-1440503162”
    She can access the blogs through a direct link. Any help greatly appreciated.
    Cheers
    Stephen

1. Hi Stephen,
      These need to be reported through your Local Authority contact to the RM help desk. They will want the username, url and the code you have posted here. I’ll be in touch via email too.

10. Hello there,
    Can you please help? I have set my fellow staff members as ‘Adminstrators’ but their status is always pending. What should I do?

Thanks

1. Hi Helen,
      Have they tried to logon to Glow Blogs. There accounts will stay as pending until they do.
      If they have tried to log on then you will need to report this problem to the RM help desk via your LA contact. Send them the URL to the blog and accounts affected.

11. Hi there,
    I am in the process of setting up a blog with my class for the first time. Yesterday, we set the security settings from Private to Glow users only, however, our blog is still not showing on the list of Glow blogs. Is there something I have missed?
    Thanks

12. Hi John,
    After taking part on your Blogging Bootcamp last January we are well on our way with our school blog / website. As it is a whole establishment site we are all learning and we are keen for children and all staff to contribute. Noticing we are using about 25% of memory. Apart from creating other blogs and linking them what can we do? Appreciate any help.

1. Hi Alison,
      Each blog has 1025MB as the total file upload limit. This can be increased by request through the RM help desk. It is best to try and manage the space carefully if possible as the space cannot be increased indefinitely.

13. Hello I have recently set up class blog of which I am administrator. The pupils are contributors but I notice when I am in their dashboard that they cannot add photos to their own posts. Am I missing something or is this open only to administrators? Thanks for your help.

14. I have set up a blog for Hill of Banchory school. I have made this available to GLOW users only but it is not appearing on the Aberdeenshire Blogs page once I click through on the tile. Any ideas? Thanks

15. I was working with a colleague on their Glow Blog and for some reason it has 2 home pages when you view the site. However when going into the Dashboard there is only the one page, this can be edited and the other is not there.
    Any help greatly appreciated.
    Cheers
    Stephen

16. When registering a school website blog for the first time is it best to use the school admin login in so the blog ownership stays at the school and not with a specific member of staff who could move away, retire etc….
    Does this not matter if the access rights can be handed over to another user as the administrator?

1. Hi Claire,
      You can add any user at any time as an Admin. The person who creates the blog will be an admin, but they can add as many other admins as they like. It sounds like a good idea to have the school admin in as a blog admin.

17. One of our classes has uploaded a video clip to our blog, we can view it in school but parents are reporting they are unable to play this at home.
    I have advised them to change browser but there is still this problem. Is there anything you can recommend. (we can play video in school)
    TIA

18. Hi,

I have created this learning resource using glow blogs but I really want other colleagues in other authorities to contribute. They can view if I make it public but when set to glow only its seem to only work in my authority.

Is there anyway to move the location of the blog so it is national? Also, is there away to increase the memory as there is potential for this project to grow.

Many thanks

Robert

1. Hi Robert,
      The glow only setting allows users who have the East Dumbarton (in your case) tile active in RM Unify (this does not need to be on the launchpad). This is not ideal.
      Public would solve the problem of allowing everyone to see it or we could move it to the /glowblogs central area. I’ll drop you an email about this.

You can increase the storage space by getting your LA key contact to raise a call with the RM help desk, it usually happens very quickly.

19. Hi,
    I am taking over responsibility for our school website and will probably be firing many questions at you over the next few months! First question, is there a way to see how many people are visiting each page on our website? It’s a Glow blog and I’d like to see which bits are being looked at most often.

Thanks for your help!

1. Hi Jonathan,
      Currently you can only get stats by adding a 3rd party ‘hit counter’ to pages on your blog.
      There is information on adding this here:
      https://blogs.glowscotland.org.uk/glowblogs/glowbloghelp/portfolio/adding-a-hit-counter/

To do this on separate pages would be quite time consuming. You would have to add an widget for each page you were interested on and use the Jetpack widget visibility module to show it only on those pages.

We do have an item on our backlog to add stats of some sort onto blogs but do not have a timescale at the moment.

20. Hi!
    I created two blogs during my time as a teacher for North Lanarkshire Council. I have now moved to East Dunbartonshire and wish to delete my old sites. However my glow username has changed, my old one is no longer active and I therefore can’t get access to the dashboards of the old blogs to delete them.

Can you advise how I can get this done?
    Thanks

21. Hello
    Please can you tell me if there is a way to edit the name used to set up a Glow blog eportfolio? Due to a typo, the Glow Username and email address now differ from the name on the ePortfolio.

Many thanks
    Lesley

22. HI,
    I am trying to add a ‘Google Translate’ to the side of my school’s blog page.
    Can you tell me how to do it.
    Thanks
    Steph

23. Hi,
    The BLOG format I have chosen has a lovely picture along the top of the screen. I am trying to change that to an image of our school Logo. Please can you tell me how to change the image, I can’t work it out!
    Thank you.

24. Hi,

We are looking to start using Glow Blogs to profile with our pupil’s but whenever we add a new profile we are not able to add any new sections to it. I know there were issues with new profiles not functioning properly and that a script had to be run but that was to the end of last month. Is this still an ongoing issue?

Thank You,

Michael Rutherford

25. Hi,

This might be a stupid question but I’m a total novice. How would teachers in my school add our school Glow site to their My Sites section on Glow? In users thy are all editors, but it isn’t appearing in their My Sites to then go and edit.

Thanks,

Siobhan

26. Hi Siobhan,
    Not stupid at all. If the teachers have been added to the blog as editors they should see the site in the My Sites page when they log on to Glow Blogs for their Local Authority.

If they are not seeing this here may be a problem with their accounts that need some technical assistance.

Could you drop me a mail at gw09johnstonjohn4@glowmail.org.uk and we can do some investigation.

27. Hi John,

is there a way that I can be added as and admin to our cluster primary schools? I currently work in a secondary school but am looking to work with the P6 and P7 pupils from the local primaries and having the ability to reset passwords etc. when they visit the high school would be hugely beneficial.

Thanks,

Alan

1. Hi Alan,
      For blogs ask the admins of the primary blog to add you. That will not let you change passwords.

I don’t know if you can be added as an Admin for other establishments in RM Unify. You could ask your LA Glow support who could check with RM.

28. Hi John,

We are in the process of creating a Blog to act as our main school website. https://blogs.glowscotland.org.uk/gc/ndhs

Over the next few weeks I intend to add enough content to go live so to speak. The site is already public and we have another site that is currently live. My question is really related to how I can add meta data such as keywords and descriptions. Is it possible for me to access the HTML that lies behind the site as an Admin user?

Thanks in advance,

Joe Kane
    Notre Dame High Glasgow

1. Hi Joe,
      At the moment it is not possible to edit the meta data. If you use the Jetpack plugin and the social module you will get Open Graph tags added that will be used by Twitter and some other app. It may be that we can add this functionality to Glow Blogs at some point via a plugin if this would be useful. That will require finding a suitable one and testing it for functionality, performance & security so will not be quick.

1. Hi John,

Thanks, when I take a look at the source code for a site like Lourdes Secondary School in Glasgow there is meta data present. Is it possible that Glow Blogs will add this in the background without the blog creator doing anything?

Thanks

Joe