Adding Users, Setting Roles

Updated 31 Jan 2016

The Add users process has been enhanced. You can now find teaching sets and add groups of pupil at once.

In the original Glow (pre Oct 2014) blog the user roles were controlled by the Sharepoint group that the blog was created on. In the new blogs service users are added and their roles controlled on the own blogs dashboard.Users can have different roles on a blog, these will come with different permissions:

Administrator – somebody who has access to all the administration features within a single site.

Editor – somebody who can publish and manage posts including the posts of other users.

Author – somebody who can publish and manage their own posts.

Contributor (+ Upload)  – like Contributors (see below) but with the ability to upload files. (This is not a standard WordPress role but one developed for Glow. It allows pupils or staff who have the role to create posts with images and other media and save them as pending. Editors or Admins can them publish.

Contributor – somebody who can write and manage their own posts but cannot publish them.

Subscriber – somebody who can only manage their profile.

The Subscriber role can be used to allow Glow  users to see a private blog.

The roles of Administrator and Author are the most commonly used roles.

Note: in the ‘old Glow ‘ environment user roles were set in the Glow  group the blog belonged to. This mapped roles from Glow  to wordpress, the contributor role mapped to author. This can lead to confusion, if you make users contributors in WordPress they will not be able to publish the posts that they create.

As of January 2016 we have extended the Add users screen so that it can use information from SEEMIS that has been passed to RM Unify. In particular Teaching Groups. This allows the selection and bulk addition of users.

Adding_Users_Setting_Roles_Jan_2016 MS docx

Adding_Users_Setting_Roles_Jan_2016 PDF

Here is a Screencast of the new functionality:

Add Users Dashboard

On the Dashboard the Add Users screen is accessed from the Users section of the left hand navigation, you may have to expand the Users section by clicking on the drop down arrow [1] before clicking Add Users [2].There are now two sections to the Add Users Screen: Add Curricular Groups and Add Users. the screen defaults to Add Curricular Groups.

Teachers can select Local Authority and the Establishment, Pupils can only select groups from their own Establishment [3].

add-users-dashboard

Adding Curricular Groups 1: Local Authority

Teachers are Presented with a Popup list to select the Local Authority They want. They can either select from the list manually or filter it by typing [1].

Once they have selected a Local Authority the page will ‘pull in a list of establishments’[2].

adding-curricular-groups-1--local-authority

Adding Curricular Groups 2: Establishments

Once the Establishment Menu has loaded you can select form the list in the same way as above, either by filtering or selecting from the drop down menu. Once a selection has been made the curricular groups menu will load.

adding-curricular-groups-2--establishments

Adding Curricular Groups 3

Once the Curricular groups are added these can be selected from the drop down or via filtering in the same manner.

adding-curricular-groups-3

Adding Users from a Curricular Group

After the Curricular Group is selected the list of pupils in that group is displayed. All pupils in the list are selected ready to be given a role in the blog. The selection can be changed by checking the checkboxes[1] (or choosing Selet All | Deselect All [2]).

Once the selection is finished you need to give the pupils a Role[3] and click Add Selected Users[4].

adding-users-from-a-curricular-group

The Users are Added to the site

the-users-are-added-to-the-site

Adding Teachers

In addition to the Teaching Groups, there is a Group of all Teachers in the School. This can be found quickly by Typing teachers into the filter box.

adding-teachers

Adding Curricular Groups Notes

The curricular groups functionality is brought into the blogs service via the RM Unify Graph API. This is in turn populated by a schools SEEMIS records. The groups  are the Teaching Groups. If a schools SEEMIS records are not up to date and they have not been sent to SEEMIS via Click + Go pupils may not appear in the lists.

Primary School pupils do not seem to be in Teaching groups , but are in Registration Groups which are currently not supplied via the API. Hopefully the Teachers list will be of use in primary classrooms. In may be possible that RM will ad Registration groups in the future, if so the blog service could be altered to use that data.

Bonus Copy List of Usernames

In most browsers you can copy the list of username selected as a semicolon delimitated list, by clicking the link below the list. The link will not appear in unsupported Browsers [1].

adding-curricular-groups-notes

Add Users

You can also add users via users names on the Second Tab of the Add Users page in the Dashboard.

To add users you

1. Type or paste the list of users you want to add to the blog ino the username fields.
  2. Choose the WordPress role you want those users to have from the popup.
  3. Click Add Users

You will see a message at the top of the Add Users screen, to tell you the additon was successful.

Username optionally can have the @glow at the end of them. @glow will be added to any usernames without it automatically.

add-users

All Users

After users have been added to the blog they can be managed from the All Users screen [1].

You can view information about the users and change or remove their role on the blog.

Users that have been added who have not visited and logged into the blogs are added as pending [2]. Glow  users will have the account on the blogs service created when they visit the blog home page for their LA after clicking the tile in RM Unify or by logging on by click site admin on a blog or visiting a page on a Glow  only or privated blog.

Administrators can remove users from their blog or change their roles on this screen.

all-users

Removing a User

To remove a user:

1. Check the box beside their name (you can delete multiple users at once)
  2. Select Remove from the Bulk Actions pop up.
  3. Click Apply.

You will be taken to the Delete Users screen where you can make decisions to delete the posts from the user or attribute then to another user.

removing-a-user

Changing a Users Role

To change a users role

1. Check the box beside their name (you can change multiple users at once)
  2. Select a new role from the Change role to… pop up.
  3. Click Change.

Roles are the top of the Author & Users Dashboard page.

changing-a-users-role

Removing yourself from a site (Teachers only)

There is not a native WordPress way to take yourself out of the users list on a site.

This can be inconvenient for staff who may be members of many ex-pupil’s portfolios. We have now developed a way of doing this.

It is carried out from the My Sites page. Each site now has a  Remove me from this site link.

removing-yourself-from-a-site--teachers-only-

24 thoughts on “Adding Users, Setting Roles”

1. I am adding pupils so that they are able to add posts to their year group blog. I have set their level at ‘contributor’ because I don’t want them to publish without my permission. However, they don’t seem to be able to ‘add media’ with this user level. Is that correct?

Thanks

1. Hi John,
        Thanks for the reply. I now understand what you mean that by adding media it effectively publishes it online. It is a shame that there isn’t a method of allowing the pupils to create posts with media that can still be checked before publishing.

Well done on the quality of the help site. I have found it very useful on more than one occasion!

1. Hi Craig, Thanks.
          I wonder would it be useful if pupils could punish media and add to posts, but not publish posts? The media would of course be online but no incorporated into the blog so not easy to find/see. I could see that as a possible enhancement.

1. Hi John,
            This could be achieved by allowing contributors to upload and add media to posts (or by removing publish rights from authors).
            I only discovered this limitation when pupils started writing blog posts for the school website. I don’t want them to publish without their work being previewed by a teacher but I don’t want them restricted to text-only blog posts.
            As you say uploaded but unpublished media is very difficult to find.

2. Hi Grant,
            Yes, that would need a code change to the blog system. As I said this could be a possible enhancement. I’ve added it to the backlog to discuss with the team. This would take time for development and testing. Of the top of my head, I’d guess that changing an existing role would not be a good idea. Imagine if Authors suddenly found that they could not post, or admins had given contributor roles to stop others uploading files. I *think* that it would be better to add a new role. I’ll explore this with the team.

The other way to deal with this is cultural. When I first used blogs with my pupils there were no different roles so all the accounts were Admins. I asked the pupils not to post until I had a look. This worked for me for hundreds of posts. It kept me on my toes, put produced no problems.

2. Hi there,

Is there any way that I can undo the ‘Remove me from this site’ option?

I selected this by mistake earlier today and am now unable to access my own blog! Unfortunately, there was not a prompt asking me whether I was sure if I wanted to do this so I have been removed from the site. I need to regain access as soon as possible. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jennifer

1. Hi Jennifer,
      Unfortunately you cannot reverse this. If there are no other admins on your blog you can raise a call with the RM help desk via your Local Authority contact. You will be added back in, this will not take long.

3. Can anyone offer help in adding the whole school population to one blog without having to individually type the usernames?

The option to add groups only contains the staff – how do you create these groups / who’s able to do so?

Many thanks!

1. Hi,
      The groups contain the curricular groups data coming from SEEMIS. Unfortunately for primary schools the SEEMIS data coming to glow only has year & registration groups. The blog service cannot at the moment get this information.

As a workaround your Glow Admin who can access the RM Unify Management screen can download CSV files of groups of users. You can open this in Excel and copy out a list of usernames, this can be pasted into the add users field in the blog admin.

4. Hi,
    I am in the process of re-building our school website as a glow blog.

I would like staff members to be able to edit only specific departmental pages and sections on the site. I feel rather nervous assigning the full “editor role” to them. I have not been able to find a way to do this. Is there a plugin or workaround available to customise roles?

Thanks
    Christine

1. Hi Christine,
      No there is not. You could make some folk contributors, but they would be able to create posts but not publish them. They would not be able to upload media.
      Alternatively you could make them authors, they could create and publish post and pages but they could not edit the posts and pages of others.
      You cannot add plugins to Glow Blogs.
      As some reassurance there are hundreds of schools using Glow Blogs as websites.

5. Hi there,
    Trying to add pupils to my blog as authors. Managed this with previous groups but this time it’s showing as pending. Pupils can access other blog groups they’ve been members of but cannot see my blog on their ‘my site’. Can someone help?

6. Hi there,
    Can student teachers with a glow account ending in ac.uk be added as a blog administrator? Tried to add as user but doesn’t seem to work.
    Thanks.

7. Is it possible to add student teachers as subscribers to a school blog? I have tried using said student’s glow username but we are unsure of how they access the blog through their glow account as they only seem to have access to glow blogs central and our school blog was created within glow blogs east dunbartonshire.

8. I’m about to ‘launch’ a blog for all local authority schools staff to access. I don’t notice non-teaching support staff (e.g. Pupil Support Assistants) listed. How are they added to blogs – is it by the LA Glow Admin generating a csv list?

1. Hi Ian,
      I think LA Glow admins could get a list, but it will be on a school by school basis.

I am presuming this will not be a public blog? Would making it glow only suit your purpose? I’ll drop you an email.

9. Hi folks,
    I’ve set up e-portfolios for my secondary pupils. I’ve set them up so that teachers can post comments but I would really like parents to be allowed to visit their children’s e-portfolios. Is there any permissions I could set up to allow this to happen?
    Thanks

1. Hi Antoine,
      The only set of permissions on Glow Blogs are private (limited to a set of signed on users), glow only and public. So the blogs would have to be public for parents to see.
      For my own classes e-Portfolios I ask them to make them Glow Only. This means any teacher or pupil can sign in, see and comment. the pupils logon at home and show their parents. Quite a few parent mentioned looking at them at a recent parent’s night.