Fishing for numbers!

Today in the discovery room we looked at some interesting books about under the sea and the fish we can find there. This led us to share some wonderful stories about fishing trips we have been on and how to catch a fish.  🎣

We thought it would be a fun idea to bring fishing into our nursery room. We decided to collect some items together such as paper to make our own fish, sticks for rods and after some problem solving, we found that using paper clips and magnets would be helpful for us to catch our fish!  🎣

To show how we can recognise numbers and can sort them into order, we numbered our fishΒ 1 -10. This made it a little bit trickier for usΒ to catch, especially when we had a fun fishing race to see who could catch all their fish first!

We demonstrated good hand eye co ordination and used our motor skills when guiding our magnets on our rods to catch our fish. We also had to be very patient!

Our ‘fishing trip’ gave us lots of opportunities to sing a popular rhyme….

🐟 🐟 🐟 🐟 🐟

1,2,3,4,5,

Once I caught a fish alive!

6,7,8,9,10,

Then I let it go again,

Why did you let it go?

Because it bit my finger so!

Which finger did it bite ?

This little finger on my right!

🐟 🐟 🐟 🐟 🐟

Why not try fishing for numbers at home? Β You could try catching some different under the sea creatures! πŸ¦‘πŸ πŸ¦€πŸ‹πŸ¦žπŸ³πŸ¦πŸ¦ˆπŸ‘