After working on some basic circuits we had a challenge today. To make a steady hands game.
The class worked really well on this, working in partners, using nearly all of the skill we could thing of. In particular, practical, communication, creativity and problem solving. We ended up with 100% success and 1 very proud teacher.
Yesterday Afternoon, Mr & Mrs Carter Came in to show us some animal skeletons including a human named Sarah. The skeletons were found by Mr & Mrs Carter, These were badgers, foxes, a human and two roe Deer, one from Dow’s wood and one from Denny. The fox they found in their garden shot and they buried it to get rid of the flesh to leave it with just the bones.
When they came in we went into four groups and our group was Me, Hannah, Lara, Alana and Jessica. We started off with a roe deer from Denny, we had to get all the bones back together to make the animal again. We split into different sections to work on. I made the spine, Jessica was the dentist who made the teeth go back into the skull. Hannah & Alana was putting the rib back together, Finally Lara was putting the arms and legs together.
Secondly we got the badger next we had the same jobs, Jessica had a harder job putting the teeth in this time, all around it was a bit harder because it was smaller than the last one. Lastly we got the roe deer again but it was from Dow’s wood, once again same jobs but we didn’t have that much of a struggle this time cause we already done one similar to the first one.
Now we got the second part of the afternoon it was to just inspect the bones, we started of with the human. The hand was really flexible and weird, the foot was like the same it was really flexible and in the pelvis the was a hole where you could put the leg bone in.
After that we went to the next table and at that table we had a rabbit, a vole, and some beautiful sea shells, Alice was really concentrated on building a rat if you inspected it there was so many little pieces. After That we moved over to our last table and there was a Heron head, a Hedgehog head.
We really enjoyed Mr & Mrs Carter Coming in Yesterday and I hope you enjoyed this report.
We are very proud of two of the Biggies who reached the primary 6 semi final of the Glasgow Science Festival Creating Engineers Competition this year.
On Tuesday p4, 5, 6, 7 did a Science experiment to test the strength of paper.
To test the strength of the paper we sellotaped the paper to a table and then we cello taped a plastic cup to the other end of the paper. To test the strength of the paper we put sand in the paper cup and the paper would break and the cup would land in someone’s hand 🖐. If the sand was not enough weight to make the paper break then we put weights in the plastic cup. Once the cup fell we attached it to a weighed and took a note of the weight. The paper that could hold the most weight was the strongest. Most people fount the strongest paper was the art paper.
This morning we were finding out about the trees in our playground.
We measured the height of trees with our clinometers.
We measured the circumferences of the trees and used a webpage to estimate how old the trees were.
We took photos of the trees, their leaves, bark and fruit.
Skills: maths skills: measuring, calculation to find out the heights. Team work. Taking pictures. Web browsing.
When the primary sevens where away we made bottle rockets. We got all of the things we needed. We needed a bottle something to make the wings out of, a cone ,a pump, water and a cork.
We got the bottle and glue gunned the wings to it so that it will go higher. We then got a bit of paper and cut a circle and made a cut into the middle and made it into a cone. And we stuck it on the bottom we the decorated it a little. We then made stand for it we had a cup and cut a hole in it and pushed the pump through we then had to put some marbles to weigh it down.
We then took it outside and before we filled it with 500 ml of water then put a cork with a hole in it in the bottle and then we attached the pump to it. You have to pump it quick and fast and then it shoots up to the sky.
When the primary 7s were away the 6s made a bottle rocket it worked pretty well. We brung in a bottle each but we ended up doing the one we got all the materials we needed then started.
We needed a 2l bottle, a cone out of card, a strong material for the rocket wings, a cork and a pump. We used a glue gun and stuck the wings on the bottle we cut a circle out of card then put a cut into the middle. We used duck tape and used seletape. To stick the cone into the bottle of the bottle and checked it was the right size. Both of us had to make something to keep it standing so we used a full tub of marbles into the cup. We put a hole onto the cork so it was the right fitting for the pump. One of us hooded the rocket and the other one of us put 500ml of water Into the bottle.
Then we took it outside and took a few attempts it worked but every time Mr. Johnston had done it it went higher and higher the last time when the primary 2-5 came out.
Yesterday afternoon we did some science experiments ours was to get a buzzer and wrap it in different materials which would be the best sound insulator. Fergie Adam Zara and Aaliyah
Music by Kevin McLeod
Today my group was learning about vibration and we made a video about sound and vibration. We used tuning forks to get vibration and then place the tuning fork on the side of the ping pong ball and see what it did. Made by Islay, Emma & Logan
In class we have been learning about sound and we have been doing science experiments. We have been trying to find out how fast sound can travel. We have learned that sound can travel in water but it is better in the air out of water.