- Use a title linked to the instructions/procedures which will explain what the instructions are about
- List the materials/equipment required to carry out the instructions or procedure. Include detail of e.g. size of equipment, quantities etc.
- Steps should be in chronological order. Use precise adverbs or adjectives e.g. measure carefully
- Use short, clear sentences so the reader does not become muddled
- Use precise technical vocabulary
- Use linking words associated with time e.g. next, while etc.
- Use numbers/bullets and headings to organise information
- Include pictures/diagrams to support the text and to help the reader to know what to aim for
- Use the third person and the present tense
Remember the Core Language Features too.