Our School Vision
By providing a nurturing and safe environment we strive to promote excellence and allow our children to become: Successful Learners, Confident Individuals, Responsible Citizens and Effective Contributors
Our School Aims
- To provide a happy, caring environment where creative, effective teaching and learning can take place and where mistakes are made in the effort to try new things and become successful.
- Parents and staff will work closely together to help children learn, achieve and celebrate their personal best.
- We will all respect and value differences in people in Port Ellen, Islay and the world
- To continue getting better as an Eco School and develop positive attitudes towards Health and Wellbeing.
- We will enable staff to function happily, professionally and effectively.
- We will maintain good relationships with other schools, partners and the community.
The Scottish Parliament passed a law called the Scottish Schools (Parental Involvement) Act 2006 to encourage and support more parents to become involved in their child’s education.
The main aims of the Act are to:
· Help parents become more involved with their child’s education and learning
· Welcome parents as active participants in the life of the school
· Provide easier ways for parents to express their views and wishes
To help achieve these aims all parents will automatically be members of a Parent Forum at their child’s school and will be entitled to have a say in what happens at the school. As members of the Parent Forum parents will have a say in selecting the Parent Council (the representative body) who will work on behalf of all parents at the school.
The role of the Parent Council is to:
· Support the school in its work with pupils
· Represent the views of all parents
· Encourage links between the school, parents, pupils, pre school groups and the wider community
· Report back to the Parent Forum
The new Parent Council was recognised in law from August 2007. For more information on the Act to find out about parents as partners in the children’s learning please contact the School or Community Services: Education (01369 708 526)
PARENT COUNCIL ELECTIONS
School Council Elections will take place in accordance with the Parent Council constitution. This will be reflective of the statutory procedures to be deployed. All eligible parents will be notified at every stage of the process.
PARENT COUNCIL MEMBERS – from January 2018 are;
Mary Swanson- Chairperson
Katie Bonar- Vice Chair
Bonnie Wood– Secretary
Maria Heads – Treasurer
Caroline Morris, Grace Gibson
Staff Member Kate Brown
Professional Adviser to the Board Mrs Maureen Macdonald HT
TO CONTACT THE PARENT COUNCIL PLEASE SEE FACEBOOK PAGE ‘PEPS Parent Council’
*NEWSFLASH* BELOW IS THE DRAFT CONSTITUTION FOR THE PARENT COUNCIL, WHICH NEEDS TO BE READ BY THE PARENT FORUM BEFORE ADOPTION.
CLICK ON THE LINKS BELOW TO ACCESS MINUTES OF MEETINGS, NEWSLETTERS AND OTHER DOCUMENTS