All senior pupils are trained in how to run a sports club as part of the Argyll and Bute Sports Leaders scheme. They can then choose to plan, organise and run lunchtime clubs every day. This promotes leadership skills and the clubs are enjoyed by all involved. These are some of the clubs that have run this year at lunchtime:
- FOOTBALL SKILLS
- BALL SKILLS
AFTER SCHOOL CLUBS
We also run after school clubs all year, and these can change
depending on the time of year. These have included:
- GAELIC CHOIR- Port Ellen Gaelic Choir has been very successful at national Mod competitions, and has even included a boys choir and a new joint choir with Bowmore.
- COOKING CLUB– Children have learned how to alter recipes like pizza and pasta and have made dishes from around the world like samosas and guacamole.
- STEM CLUB– Working with STEM ambassadors from the High School children have examined microscopic beasties, solved secret codes and watched dissections.
- CHRISTMAS CRAFTS CLUB– Children made crafts to sell at the Christmas fair.
- TECHNOLOGY CLUB– Creating videos using Imovie and learning how to code using Scratch.
- SPORTS CLUB– Trying out a variety of sports while keeping healthy.
- ZUMBA– Children get to dance and keep fit with a trained Zumbainstructor.
- FOOTBALL– A club run by sports leaders from Islay High.
- ORIENTEERING-Children enjoy navigating courses.
- ECO CLUB– In the summer children can help out in the gardens and school grounds.