Mar 212019

As part of our whole school project on marine litter, P1/2/3 are reaching out to other schools near the sea to find out if they find lots of plastic on their beaches too.  Here is their digital book all about Islay.  We hope that you enjoy watching it and see how lovely our island is.  Please comment and let us know if you have what you can find on the beaches near your school.  Thank you, P1/2/3

Feb 062019

This year we have got 8 Eco monitors in our committee. We have a chairperson and 4 other groups which are:

1 Chair person – Charlie

2 Litter – Mara Rhuraidh and Evie,

3 Global – Katie, Callie, Mya,

4 Biodiversty – Caitidh, Alexander,

5 – The Nursery – Findlay and Neil.

We last had a meeting on the 24.1.19. That meeting was just the Managers and Mrs Harrison to discuss what we were going to do. Charlie has just done a PowerPoint to tell all the children and adults to remember the Eco Code.

Dec 062018

Port Ellen Juniors is a grassroots team that anyone from the age of 4-15 can join. Every Sunday there is a training session for everyone in the team, so that we can get good enough to travel away to the main land and challenge other team’s.

Near the end of November the entire club went away to Bowmore to go and play on the twin-track, in the swimming pool, at the swimming pool everyone was racing each other across the twin track and trying to push each other off or pull someone into the water. It as fun.

Oct 212018

This term p6/7 were reading books to improve their reading skills. We worked in groups. It was pretty fun. The book my group read was called Tom’s Midnight Garden which is by Philippa Pearce. This book is about a kid called Tom who, when the thirteenth strike happens on the broken old grandfather clock, enters a lovely garden full of plants in which would normally be a small pathway with some bins and flower pots. I enjoyed the book because of the fact that there was none other book like it. I also liked it because it was actually quite interesting how he realized what was happening so fast and how it has some aspect of realism in it unlike a lot of other books. It’s also good because of the twist ending in which we find out that the landlady Mrs Bartholomew is in fact Hatty. “Quite early in Mrs Bartholomew’s story Tom suddenly leaned forward and whispered: ‘You were Hatty – you are Hatty! You’re really Hatty!'” This was to show that Tom understood what she was saying and so that if the reader didn’t realize that she was Hatty they would’ve got it. Altogether I would say the book was a 4/5 because at some parts it did get a little boring and that the story takes some time to turn into something interesting. I would say that the genre is fantasy because the main character travels back in time in to a garden which is full of color although in reality it would be a small little paved garden. Altogether this book is a good read and I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in books that are more than they seem and books that make you think about what is going to happen next.

Oct 042018

At the start of this term everyone was handed out books to read, and my book was Tom’s Midnight Garden. I thought that this book was quite good because the author used excellent language, I think the story is set out very well because: everything happens in chronological order, the author often leaves things on cliff hangers which just makes me want to read on more, what happens in the book is very clever because everything adds up at the end. Like when Tom finds out that everything that happens in the garden is because Mrs Bartholomew (later found out to be Hatty) dreams of the garden and what she dreams of happens to Tom.

Although what I do not like about this book is that it is very slow moving, I say that because it goes into every tiny detail about every single thing that happens, one of the times this happens is when Tom is reading about Victorian clothing and it goes into detail about the headings and all the sub headings and it even goes into detail about all the clothes that Tom is not searching for such as men’s clothes even though he is looking for the kind of clothes that Hatty wears.

Overall I think that this is a good and it is very satisfying when you have finished it. Despite that I would recommend this to older readers who will not get bored with it and will read on.

Oct 042018

Holes,

Louis Sachar,

Evaluating.

This book is a great book because the author has used lots of different Punctuation and describing words to write the book such as: stooped, huge, “, -, ?,., ; and !  The book is quiet funny as the author has used most of the funny parts at the end of sentences when people have finished talking.

I would say that the genre of this book is comedy because a lot of people characters were just digging lots of holes.  Stanley and Hector/Zero the two main characters.  Stanley and Zero saw this thing on the mountain and they thought it was a big thumb so they left camp to climb the big mountain then they found out that it was a big thumb.

One of the funny parts in the book is” Stanley had seen KB is his mothers bathroom and he also saw it in the wardens cabin. It was  halve of a lip stick tube.”  Stanley meets these new people at Camp Green Lake who have very weird names like; Zero, Armpit, Zigzag, Squid, X-Ray and Magnet. Overall I would rate this book 5/5.

Image result for holes

Oct 042018

This term I have been reading a book called Mr Stink. It was a brilliant book. The book was partially humorous and partially emotional. Chloe who is a 12 year old girl and Mr Stink who is a 60 year old man I felt as if their bond grew through out the story. My favorite part  is when Mr Stink gets invited on to a show called question time and he embarrasses himself (in a hilarious way) and embarrasses mother who is Chloe’s mother. Overall I really like this book and I like the way the authors styled it and I like the illustrations that the illustrator made.

Oct 042018

Holes by Louis Sachar.This book was about a child called Stanley Yelnats. Stanley was sent to a camp for something he didn’t do which was unfair.The Book was great because the author made good tension,such near the end of the book they found a case but there were yellow spotted lizards all over them and you didn’t know if they were going to be bit or not.The yellow spotted lizards are poisonous.The genre of this book was Adventure Fiction.The weird thing is the warden wore poisonous nail varnish.

The main theme of holes was Friendship and Justice.Stanley also made friends at the camp and they all had nicknames such as Zero,Squid,Zigzag,Xray,Magnet,Armpit and Twitch. There was also a weird repeating poem which there were different versions of every where in the book such as

If only, If only, the moon speaks no reply;

Reflecting the sun and all that’s gone by.

be strong my weary wolf,turn around boldly

Fly high,my baby bird,

My angel,my only

Image result for holes cover

By Aidan

Oct 042018

Holes by Louis Sachar is a book based about unfair punishments. A boy called Stanley Yelnats is framed for stealing a pair of sneakers he did not steal. He got sent to camp green lake where he gets up to trouble.  I enjoyed very much because of the different types of characters from innocent Stanley Yelnats to the aggressive Warden.

The way the author wrote it it was like two different sides of the book; There was the joking funny sneaky boys then there was the dark side of the Warden and Mr Sir. A easy way to show this is when the boys stole a sack of seeds and Stanley took the blame. Mr Sir got angry and took him to the Warden. The Warden wears venomous nail polish; it wasn’t dry and she scratched Mr Sirs face for wasting her time.

The genre of this book I feel is adventure because Stanley and his freind Zero escape from Camp Green Lake. They have to climb to the top of a mountain. Stanley had to carry Zero to the top. The reason why they climbed to the top is because they believed there was water source at the top. I feel like it is also about freindships, because Stanley has to make freinds with the boys and they all have nicknames: Caveman-Stanley Yelnats, Zero-Hector Zeroni, Xray, Magnet, Twitch, Zigzag, Armpit and Squid they even called Mr Pendanski Mom.

Louis Sachar wrote very weirdly because there was a poem that he repeated over and over in the book.

“If only if only the woodpecker sighs,

The bark on the trees is as soft as the skies.

While the wolf waits below, hungry and lonely,

Crying to the moo-00-oon,

If only if only.”

But he changes the poem each time. He can make the book really tense. Like when the author made Stanley and Hector starving in the desert.

Image result for holes

Oct 042018

Holes which is written by Louis Sachar is about a boy getting punished for “stealing the shoes” of Clyde Livingston. Clyde is a famous basketball player. The boy in this book is called Stanley and he gets sent to Green Camp lake where he had to dig lots of holes. At the camp Stanley meets other people and starts to bond with one in particular, Zero. Zero is a boy who isn’t very smart and Stanley has to teach him to read and write. Suddenly zero tries a get away and everyone is camp tries to find him. No luck, But Stanley didn’t stop and he got his reward. He found him under a boat keeping himself alive with a gloopy juice. Stanley manages to persuade him back to camp and in no time they were back at home partying with Clyde Livingston.

The Author is trying to get a message across in this book. This message is that punishments can get as bad as this         (digging holes all the time). He has got very good description for example his “no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-Grandfather.” He also has lots of characters in the book ( Stanley, Squid, Clyde Livingston…) which needs to have good description. He has put two stories into one book because of when he tells the story of his Grandfather. I would say this is an adventure book because of the adventure Stanley goes on and all through the book where Stanley goes through different stages.

Personally I liked the book and I would rate it 4 1/2  out of 5. I liked this book because there was lots of description and there was never nothing interesting going on. So for example Stanley is always digging and finding something interesting. At the end of the book it is a surprise because He ends up sitting next to the person that he got accused of stealing his shoes. I would read this book again.Image result for holes