Feb 082017

Endeavour is a long term personal topic that has to be ambitious. For my Endeavour I have chosen to do skin care and the beauty industry because I want to learn how to look after my skin and learn about beauty. I have learnt about animal testing and different ingredients in beauty products. I have also looked at bad/harmful ingredients. I have done a leaflet on different allergic reactions you can get when you use the ingredients in natural lip balm. I have also written a letter to Ailsa Hayes and written a recipe for a breakfast themed face mask. I have also started a sway that I will hopefully keep  adding to as I progress with my learning.

Feb 082017

holly

Today February 1st 2017 David Wood from the RSPB came into the nursery to talk about birds to them and I was there. He talked to me about my Endevour project and he awnsered some of my questions like where certain birds go to migrate, what bird he thinks I should reasearch,how the RSPB finds out about where certain birds go and the birds behavior and he also told me about what the great British bird watch was all about and why they do it. We also went outside in the school grounds to watch all the birds there and record how many different kinds of birds were there. I saw lots of different kinds of birds like Rooks,Robins,Chaffinch,Chiffchaff,Blue tit,Herring gull,House sparrow,Black bird,Greenland white fronted geese.

Jan 302017

images               We are very happy to have had our Green Flag renewed again.  Here is what the report said –

Congratulations to everyone in Port Ellen for a great whole-school effort in renewing the school’s Green Flag status. I thought your photographs showcased well all the great environmental work going on in school and it was clear that everyone had been working hard to reduce waste, encourage healthy lifestyle choices and re-develop your grounds as a marvellous resource for learning and recreation and a haven for wildlife. In so doing, you have monitored progress well, shared your successes with the wider community via your blogs and Twitter feed, and worked collaboratively with helpful partners such as Rejig, the RSPB, the Community Garden and your local plant supplier and boat builder. Eco is well- integrated into the curriculum and calendar via classwork such as your Water Cycle topic and events like your Waste and Walk to School Weeks, and you have enjoyed well-deserved success in the STEM Challenge, the Junior Saltire Award and the Pocket Picnic Garden Competition. Finally, you are to be warmly commended for your beach cleaning activities, your promotion of Fairtrade in school and your generous support of worthwhile charities such as Water Aid. Your young people are truly responsible, global citizens and I am sure you will enjoy exploring the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals as part of your ongoing Eco focus.

Jan 302017

img_1399

Just before Christmas P4/5 were thrilled to get a visit from Miss Heads nephew Luke, who is a geologist.  He answered lots of their questions about volcanoes and earthquakes.  He was also very impressed by the children’s knowledge of the earth’s structure and plate tectonics.

Jan 302017

img_2158

To complete our IDL on earthquakes and volcanoes, P4/5 have learned about the pros and cons of living in areas of the world where there are volcanoes and earthquakes.  They wrote a piece of persuasive writing to convince people that living in Iceland had lots of positive aspects and found out how engineers try to make buildings earthquake-proof.  The children worked in co-operative groups to build earthquake-proof buildings and then we tested them using a huge tray of jelly to be the shaking ground!

Jan 132017

I think the swimming lessons are good because most of the population know how to swim but the other part doesn’t know so its for good learning. I also think that it is good because it makes you more successful at swimming even if you are good at swimming. Our swimming lessons start on Tuesday 17 Jan. I think its going to be fun but challenging.

By Aaron and Andre

Dec 222016

img_1757 img_1750 img_1770On every Wednesday at school we have a science club. On the first week of science club we had to find out who put a white powder in Mrs. Clark’s hot chocolate. It was great fun. We had to find it by going to different parts of the kitchen and finding out whose mark matches the criminals mark. There was finger prints, bites on cups and we had to see what what pen was the same as the one the criminal used. The second week we got to make crystals. We made the crystals by putting in over salted water and food coloring to make them look good. On the last week of science club it was really disgusting because we were dissecting a fish and at the very end we dissected a deer heart. Although earlier before we were naming body parts and we got 2 chocolates out of an advent calender. We would like to thank the people from the high school  for coming over to help us and we would really like it if science club is on again.

By Rebecca and Rowan

Dec 222016

During this term cooking club has been run  by Mrs Harrison on a Monday after school. It was run from 3:30 to 4:30. Every week we made different foods. The first week we made a scone recipe choosing some ingredients to put in. The next week we made pizza using the scone recipe as a base and made our own tomato sauce. The next week we made a pasta bake to take home and share with our family for dinner. We boiled pasta then made sauces, there was a cheesy sauce and a tomato sauce. The last week Mrs Harrison thought of something more exciting so we made pancakes. We made apple flavour which was from Jamie Oliver’s recipe and we also made a thick and thin pancake recipe. We then shared the pancakes and put our own favourites on them. We had jam, butter, golden syrup, maple syrup and some bananas. We all enjoyed making our recipes and going to cooking club.

By Kaitlyn and Ellie.