May 172017

Through this year P5/6/7 have been using lots of technology to help with their learning. Some people have been using technology for their Endeavour project like Rebecca, Rhys, Sophie, Rowan and Taylor.

Rebecca is doing A documentary on Islay and she is also making a website. Rebecca’s website has made her endeavour better because more people will be able to see it rather than her telling them. Rebecca has already made a logo and completed 4 pages, 3 more to go. She hopes it will be completed by 31st May.

Rhys is doing Kodu for his Endeavour so everything he does is on the computer. He has completed 11 levels already and is hoping to create as much levels as possible.

For Charlie’s Endeavour he has learnt about Calmac and how long it has been running and also about all the ferries and boats, and he records this in a blog.

Sophie is doing animations and has completed 10 she is hoping to complete 12 all together.

Ciaran has made a sway for his Endeavour about his Endeavour which is electricity. He has found out about what electricity is, what electrons make, how electricity travels and how fast it travels.

Rowan has made an iMovie of her performing magic tricks.

Taylor has been working on a documentary for his Endeavour, his Endeavour is on different sports you can do on Islay he has videoed himself cycling around Islay using a Go Pro.

We have used scratch with Mr Shakespeare. In scratch you can create quizzes or games and anything is possible.

Figure is an app that makes music which we have also used in class. Everyone has enjoyed using it and it has also helped us understand music a lot more like crescendos and diminuendos which has helped us learn in a more fun way.

Garageband is also another useful app you can use to make music but you can add voices into it. Eva and Natalie have been experimenting with garageband by singing gaelic songs.

There are lots of things you can do in the classroom to help you with your work and most of this is using technology and this is just some of them.

Apr 232017

Every year Mrs Clark’s class take part in the Scottish Maths Challenge, a competition where you have to complete tricky maths problems that require you to think outside the box.  It is a great way to improve your maths problem solving skills and learn to apply strategies to help you work out the answers.  Children can opt to take part in the challenges, and there are three sets of questions over the year. One of the questions this year was:

Colin and Tom are on a camping holiday and, at their campsite, they make friends with Fiona. They ask her when her birthday is but, being a bit of a joker, Fiona tells them only that it is one of the following;

May 14, July 12, May 15, May 18, June 16, June 19, July 15, August 12, August 14, August 16.

She then tells Colin the month of her birthday, but not the day in the month, whilst she tells Tom the day in the month, but not the month.

Immediately, Colin Declares “Well Tom certainly cannot know for sure when Fiona’s birthday is.”
to which Tom replies “Ah, but now I do.” “And now I know when it is as well,” comes back Colin.

When is Fiona’s birthday? Explain your reasoning.

Quite tricky!

The children who took part have been very successful and should be proud of their perseverance and skills.  Ellie and Matthew have achieved a bronze medal and Eva, Ruaraidh, Rowan, Rebecca and Kaitlyn achieved a silver medal in the competition.  Kaitlyn and Rebecca missed out on the gold by one point!  Well done everyone.

Mar 262017

On Wednesday 15th March 2017 primary six and seven from all over the island and Small Isles went to the Islay High School to do STEM. S stands for Science, T stands for Technology, E stands for Engineering and M stands for Maths. We learned what Computational Thinking was and examples of when we can use it.  An example of Using Computational Thinking is Debugging because Debugging means fixing and finding Errors and an Example of when you use Debugging is if you are coding a game and it glitches you can debug the glitch so your game does not glitch. I felt like the Computational Thinking was really helpful to understand what I was doing with technology.

Mar 242017

Today the 24th of March is comic relief. We have dressed up in red and have been selling cakes and red noses. All the money goes to Comic Relief. We are pleased to say that we raised £200!!! Hopefully we raise that much next year. Thank you to everyone who took part in this fun day and to all the people who brought some cakes in.

By Sophie and Holly

Mar 102017

The p5/6/7 had a game design competition. There were four groups The pink tree trackers, The dream team, MCG gaming and The fish finish line. My group was the pink tree trackers. In our group we had our own roles, these were the roles:

Sophie – Creative diretor/Manager

Natalie – Assistant Marketer/ Producer

Rowan – Programmer

Aaron – Artist

Abi – Game designer

Ciaran – Game designer

In our game we had four levels, all of them had a pink tree in it. They all had a pink tree in them because the whole point of our game was to get to the pink tree and that’s how you got to the next level. I think our group worked well together because we never left anyone out of anyone with nothing to do but I think we need to work on being a little more organized and faster. One problem we had to overcome was that we wanted the Kodu to eat the apples but he wasn’t, but as we tinkered around a little we found out that we had programed the apple instead of programing Kodu. The strategy that we used was debugging.

by Sophie Macdonald

Mar 102017

My Endeavour is Deforestation and its involved in science because I’m going to see how animals survive in those conditions and see how people can stop deforestation such as using smartphone detectors that detect saws and they send a alarm to a ranger the ranger comes and stops the person who is cutting down the tree. The science is about nature and the protection of trees.  In this I mostly feel happy because I am focused and calm but usually pictures don’t work and that makes me a bit angry.

Mar 102017

For My Endeavour I’m doing birds. I have been learning about their migration, where they go to, how long it takes them to get there, what they do on their journey. I have also bean learning about a lot about garden birds. I have learned about the robin, great tit and blue tit, I will be learning about other birds.

I have started a sway on geese migration on Islay, I have not done very many slides on my sway but I will be doing more. For a piece of homework for my Endeavour I drew a bird and labelled the different parts of it, on the back I wrote a bit about how birds fly but never finished it. I have done a book creator and have done quite a lot of slides. I am quite proud of my book creator and all the learning I have done through my Endeavour. The skills I have used is how to do a sway, how to do a book creator.

Mar 012017

Endeavour is a long term project that you work on through out the year to improve your learning, which has to be ambitious. For my Endeavour I have chosen  Toys from the past. I hope to achieve some hand-made toys for the finish. I wrote to the Museum Of Childhood. I asked them questions that they can answer for my Endeavour, and I got a reply. With my reply I got a picture of a dolls house. This year I plan to make a toy from each decade, interview, planning, sway and many different things. So far I have achieved my sway, letter, information and a poster of popular toys. I will have learnt many different skills, For example building, designing and I will learn how much toys have changed. I really hope I will be successful.

Feb 242017

On the 28th March P4/5/6/7 will be doing an shinty interhouse challenge. Between Orsay Texa and Nave. It will be held by the citizenship group the Sports Stars. It will be a fun and an exiting day because it will be a day that all the houses can be active and be competitive and have a blast. Every term we are going to have an inter house challenge between Orsay, Texa and Nave. Next term the sport stars are going to arrange a rugby interhouse challenge for teams it is 6 aside and it is p4/5 that can enter it.