Rachel and Bella’s visit to Port Ellen Primary School

img_2251

On Tuesday 7th February at 3PM my Mum brought my Guinea Pigs Rachel and Bella up to school for my presentation on my “Guinea Pig instruction Booklet “ I have been working on with Miss MacIntyre.

The cage was covered by a towel over it is because they like the dark and because they like it on their own. Also, Guinea Pigs can get scared easily and in new places. My class all sat around the cage quietly and waited for me to take off the towel. They were so excited and couldn’t wait to see Rachel and Bella. Ellen was jumping around on her knees she was that excited!

I carefully removed the towel and took Bella and Rachel out of the cage. My class were so happy to see my Guinea Pigs and that made me feel so happy for them. It was the first time most of them had met them and they thought they were both so cute! Most of the class preferred Bella because she is the baby Guinea Pig. I feel sorry for Rachel so I gave Rachel lots of love and cuddles as she is my favourite.

My mum also brought in the bowls, small water bottle, toys, food and the corn sticks they like to eat to show the class. I really enjoyed doing this project a lot and hope my class enjoyed learning about Guinea Pigs from me too.

by Braeden P4

21.2.2017

A Geologist Visits

img_1399

Just before Christmas P4/5 were thrilled to get a visit from Miss Heads nephew Luke, who is a geologist.  He answered lots of their questions about volcanoes and earthquakes.  He was also very impressed by the children’s knowledge of the earth’s structure and plate tectonics.

Earthquake-proof

img_2158

To complete our IDL on earthquakes and volcanoes, P4/5 have learned about the pros and cons of living in areas of the world where there are volcanoes and earthquakes.  They wrote a piece of persuasive writing to convince people that living in Iceland had lots of positive aspects and found out how engineers try to make buildings earthquake-proof.  The children worked in co-operative groups to build earthquake-proof buildings and then we tested them using a huge tray of jelly to be the shaking ground!

Earthquake-proof Buildings

P4/5 have been learning about the effects of earthquakes and the devastation they cause when buildings collapse.  They looked at different ways of making buildings stronger and more able to withstand an earthquake.  Everyone came up with their own design and then groups chose one design or a combination of features from two designs to build their model.  The groups presented their buildings to the class and then we tested them in a tray of jelly to see if they would still stand up.

Percussion at Port Ellen

img_0288

Port Ellen Primary School have just got some colourful, outdoor drums for our playground. The drums have been put in beside our stage which has just been done up. They look good together as they are both bright and beautiful. Ellen and Morgan think they are loud, popular and FUN! There are five sizes of drums and they all make different sounds. All the pupils and staff are very happy with them.

The school got a grant of £500 from the Fourteen Fund and the same from Diageo. The drums cost £1600 so the rest of the money came from the Parent Council. The school paid for the stage to be fixed. The pupils and staff would like to say a huge “Thank You” to everyone who helped to make it possible.

The drums are a great addition to the playground and the pupils think they are amazing.

Aiden Munro (P4) said “The drums are really good to play with because they make different sounds”. Mrs Campbell (Treasurer from the Parent Council) said “The drums look and sound fantastic”.

By Rhuraidh Blair (P4) and Aiden Munro (P4)

Recreating Skara Brae

img_1579

P4/5 have been learning how, during the Neolithic, people started to move away from being hunter-gatherers and started farming.  They began to build permanent homes.  They worked in groups to build models of Skara Brae as well as Iron Age hillforts, roundhouses and crannogs.

Discovering Archaeology

img_1021 img_1029 img_1018

P4/5 have been finding out about the work of archeologists and how they go about finding evidence of the past.  They took part in a mini dig, tried to reassemble bits of old pottery and dissected a Stone age poo to find out what people ate long ago.

Standing Stone

img_1061

As part of their learning about Islay Prehistory P4/5 went up to see the standing stone outside Port Ellen.  They were amazed at it’s height up close and how people long ago managed to get such a big piece of rock into a stand

Bronagh’s Trip to Westminster

bronaghWe asked Bronagh questions about what she did in Westminster in London.  We firstly asked her a question on why she was there.  She went to Parliament because she was an young Scottish winner of an art competition for I love Amazon schools.  In Parliament they were taking photos and talking about the rain forest.  She had to go through lots of security when she was entering Parliament.  She was in there for 2-3 hours just listening about the rain forest and getting photos taken.  They also asked her questions like “How did you think of your slogan?”which was ‘Hands off our trees, Leaf them alone.’  She also learned that every minute a football pitch worth of trees is cut down and the situation is so critical.

But in conclusion she had a lovely time in Westminster and learned a lot about the Amazon rainforest.

By Nicholas and Torin with help from Bronagh