The WP-Andreas01 theme has not been updated for 10 years and is becoming increasingly incompatible with our version of WordPress.
We have decided to retire the theme. This means it will be no longer available to select in the Themes section of your dashboard or through the customizer.
If your blog currently uses WP-Andreas01 it will continue to do so unless you change to another theme. You will then not be able to switch back.
We would suggest that switching to another theme to take advantage of the many changes and improvements in WordPress over the last 10 years.
There was a new release on the Glow Blogs Service on Tuesday 28th February 2016.
Following are the main components of the release in addition to minor bug fixes and routine backend maintenance work.
- Blog admins will receive email notifications of any comments on their blog posts if they have chosen to receive them.
- Blog admins will be able to view Google analytics data related to their blog.
- Upgrade to WordPress version 4.7.2.
- New themes – WordPress 2017 and Make Designer
- Retiral of Default and Classic themes
- Syntax highlighting Plugin, will allow pretty display of source code in posts.
In preparation for the October 2016 release, when the Old e-Portfolio themes will be switched off, all blogs using those themes have been switched to the TwentyFourteen theme. No content is lost. The features of the theme which produced the profile has been lost. We recommend using the new e-portfolio plugin for creating e-Portfolios and profiles.
This screencast shows how to add the new functionality to an old e-Portfolio, tidying up the old site.
We are getting close to a new release on Glow Blogs. This will consist of several enhancements and some behind the scenes fixes.
Although the final date and content of the release is, as usual, dependent on testing this an outline of what is planned.
This will happen on Tuesday 18th October, 2016 between 16:00 and 17:00. We expect that the service will be unavailable for only a few minutes but should be considered at risk for the whole period.
Some changes to the e-Portfolio plugin:
- Ability to Edit Profile Tags
- Profile Tags are Visible on Posts
- Display Categories on Profiles
- Removal of old ePortfolio Themes, the blogs using the old ePortfolio themes will be switched to the standard TwentyFourteen starting on Thursday 6 October in preparation for the release. More information: Removal of old e-Portfolio Themes
Other changes may include:
- Contributors can Upload Files.
- ‘Like’ and ‘Follow’ buttons from Yammer can be added to posts.
- Google Embeds, embed Google documents (docs, sheets, slides, forms, images, videos etc) on a post.
- The Dashboard Message will Include Information About Storage Capacity of Sites
The Next Release of Glow Blogs took place on Tuesday 19th of July.
It consisted of:
- Removal of 4 Woo themes.
- Upgrading of WordPress to 4.5
- Events Plugin, this will allow the creation of ‘events’ in addition to posts and pages and have calendar views of these events. See Event Organiser — WordPress Plugins.
- Addition of TwentySixteen Theme (the default for new blogs will continue to be TwentyFourteen)
- Embed of Google Calendars
- Embed of Scratch Projects
- Addition of .dot and .otf files to the permitted file types for upload.
- New Blogs Landing Page
- Follow blogs from the My Sites page
- Enhancement of ‘Remove me from this blog’ to avoid accidental removal.
- Additional Language packs for Blogs dashboard. This means that users can set the language they wish to use in the blog administration.
Help for all of these features will appear soon on the Help blog.
Spectrum News is the only one of the woo themes that will affect many blogs. You may want to change this theme before it is automatically turned off. I have sent a list of blogs using these themes to LA key contacts.
There are some notes on the help blog:
Spectrum News to TwentyFourteen
As always please get in touch if you have any questions. email@example.com
More on the release:
That list is automatically updated as we are using the display-posts plugin and a short code of:
The development of the July release is going well.
In May we posted about the complete removal of 4 Woo themes. At that point I emailed a list of blogs using the Spectrum theme to Key Contacts.
The Spectrum theme is the only one of the 4 themes that is much used.
We are now set to switch the themes of these blogs to TwentyFourteen on the 15th of July in preparation for the release later in the month.
I’ve uploaded the lists of all blogs using Spectrum to my OneDrive, all glow users should be able to view the files.
Spectrum-use-July-16 – OneDrive
Which any Glow User should have access to.
The complete switch off of the old ePortfolio themes has been delayed till Oct 2016
We are planning a new release on Glow Blogs in July. This will consist of some improvements to the service, fixes and updates. I hope to post more details soon.
As part of the release we will be removing some themes that are currently disabled. These include the old e-Portfolio themes and 4 Woo themes.
This will have an impact on some existing sites. Sites that using these themes will switch to the TwentyFourteen theme.
We would suggest that it will be better to manually switch themes before the release.
e-Portfolios cam switched to another theme and updated to use the new e-portfolio plugin.
There is help for converting an old them to a new one on the help blog:
Converting an Old e-Portfolio to a new one
Converting an Old e-Portfolio to a new one: Tags to Profile Tags
Of the four Woo themes the only one with more than a very few sites is Spectrum News.
There is a page on the help blog with notes on converting a Spectrum News site to using the TwentyFourteen theme:
Spectrum News to TwentyFourteen | Glow Blog Help
Please get in touch if you need more information.
I will be sending Key Contact a List of Public blogs using the Spectrum News theme for their LA shortly.
The Blogs service had a new release on Thursday 27 August 2015
Included in the release
Five New Themes
- Suburbia more information on the theme home page
- OXYGEN more information on the theme home page
- Visual more information on the theme homepage
- Digg 3 Column
- Local Avatars
- Display Posts Shortcode
To video and audio display in posts syndicated into a blog by the Syndication plugin. These now display properly.
Embed clickview video in posts
Several Authorities use the ClickView service, they can now embed video in their posts by pasting the url to the video into the editor. You need to extract the URL from the ClickView iFrame code, not use the whole code.
Information about the plugins and additions will be added to the Glow Help Blog shortly after the release.
In the Blogs Update Phase 2.2 in April we added three new themes.
We also retired the Spectrum News Theme.
We have now retired the Suffusion theme too.
Existing blogs that use these themes will continue to do so. They will not be able to be selected in the Theme chooser for new or existing blogs. We will turn this theme off completely at a later date it would be wise to change themes before then. We expect Spectrum New to be completely disabled by the end of 2015. Suffusion, being a very widely used theme will be deployed for longer.
Both of these themes are showing problems with our newer version of WordPress. Features have broken. The updated version of Spectrum News did not work with our multi-site WordPress install and would have required considerable work both now and over the longer term to keep it going. The suffusion theme developer is having trouble keeping it up to date, it is also showing some problems with our new version of WordPress.
We hope to have a few modern flexible themes in a release soon. We are also producing some guidance on moving from these themes to TwentyFourteen: Spectrum News to TwentyFourteen. Another page covering Suffusion will be added to the help blog over the summer 2015.
If you are using the Spectrum News Theme we would advise that you look to changing that theme as soon as possible.