SECOND LEVEL TECHNOLOGIES
Experiences and Outcomes Benchmarks
Organiser – Craft, Design, Engineering and Graphics Recognises characteristics of groups of materials such as wood, plastic and metal.

Selects suitable materials to use in a task

Discuss the uses of materials

Exploring uses of materials
I can recognise basic properties and uses for a variety of materials and can discuss which ones
are most suitable for a given taskTCH 2-10a

Links to: TCH 2-09a & TCH 2-11a

Literacy & English – Listening & Talking – Enjoyments & Choice LIT 2-01a, Creating Texts LIT 2-09a

Science – Materials – Properties & Uses of Substances SCN 2-15a, Earth’s Materials SCN 2-17a

Expressive Arts – Art & Design EXA 2-02a

Progression

Through a range of tasks & activities, I can/am able to Through a range of tasks & activities, I can/am able to Through a range of tasks & activities, I can/am able to
Describe the basic properties of wood, metal & plastic. Research then share how the properties of materials such as wood, plastic & metal are used in the world around us e.g.the properties of different types of wood, metal & plastic. Research the group of materials I am most interested in, then share what I have learned about their properties & the skills & methods needed to make things from these materials.
Compare & contrast how these properties are used in the world around me.

Share my thoughts about which materials would be most suitable for a range of tasks & purposes.

Explore & describe the special skills & methods needed to work with groups of  materials such as wood, plastic & metal.

Describe, write about or show how designers & crafts people make use of the properties of wood, plastic & metal.

Demonstrate my understanding of the properties of my chosen material by analysing & evaluating an object designed by someone else, or by designing & creating an object of my own.
Apply my knowledge of the properties of materials to help me solve a design problem or fulfil a design brief. Evaluate how I have applied my knowledge of the properties of materials to fulfil  a design brief. Evaluate how the properties of a material have been used to fulfil a design brief or challenge e.g. my own object or one designed by someone else.