EARLY LEVEL TECHNOLOGIES
Experiences and Outcomes Benchmarks
Organiser – Digital Literacy • Identifies and uses images and key words when searching for specific information.

• Demonstrates an understanding of how information can be found on websites as text, audio, images and video.

• Demonstrates an understanding of how they should not use materials owned by others without permission.

Searching, processing and managing information responsibly
I can use digital technologies to explore how to search and find information.

TCH 0-02a

Link with skills in Literacy Listening and Talking – Finding and using information LIT 0-04a & Reading, Finding & Using information LIT 0-14a

Progression

For a range of purposes across my learning & play, I can/am able to For a range of purposes across my learning & play, I can/am able to For a range of purposes across my learning & play, I can/am able to
Recognise that there is an internet & talk about/explore how it can help us find useful information, pictures, videos & sound files. With support, begin to suggest key words & questions to help search for specific information, images, video, audio, etc.

With support, recognise that, & explore how, the internet can be accessed using a range of devices or methods e.g. typing, scanning, voice activation.

With support, begin to talk about how we could use the information that we find.

Choose key words to help me search for & find specific information e.g. using search boxes.

With support, begin to make supervised searches using a range of devices or methods to find information, pictures, videos or sound files

With support, begin to save, copy or use information that I find.

From Education Scotland National Improvement Hub “What digital learning might look like”:

“Use the web (with adult support) to search for topical keywords (from text on cards/labels) to search for media in relation to the keyword, for example: “apples”, “flour”, “wheat”. Learners might then discuss the types of results; this could be text, audio, images or videos. The media found in the search could then be used to support discussion, such as talking about size,shape or colour of fruits found in a search
Develop more independence to perform web searches, using smart devices or services such as: Google Home, Apple’s Siri, Amazon Alexa, for example“Hey Google, how do you make bread?”

Begins to recognise that information & materials belong to people e.g. we put our names on our work Recognise that people can share their own pictures & information using the internet.

Begin to develop awareness of the need to ask permission when using other people’s materials.

With support, begin to question & talk about who owns or who made the materials that we find & whether we are allowed to use it e.g. is it ok to copy & use other people’s work?