EARLY LEVEL TECHNOLOGIES
Experiences and Outcomes Benchmarks
Organiser – Computing Science  

• Identifies computing devices in the world (including those hidden in appliances and objects such as automatic doors).

Understanding and analysing computing technology

I can experiment with and identify uses of a range of computing technology in the world around me.

TCH 0-14b

Progression

I can/am able to I can/am able to I can/am able to
Explore computing technology in the world around me.

Begin to talk about how computing technology is used in everyday life e.g. I use a tablet to play games.

Begin to identify and talk about obvious and not so obvious computing technology in the world around us. E.g. when I go near a door sensor the doors automatically open. Identify the uses of computing technology in the world around me e.g. smart speaker (Alexa), ATM (cash machine), games console (Play Station).

From Education Scotland National Improvement Hub “What digital learning might look like”:

“When learning about digital systems in their lives learners might:

* Use technology and systems in the world around them, such as ordering lunch from the computer and this can be developed by using simple visual cues like Boardmaker symbols or visual timetables about daily routines

* Practise mouse control skills, which might be unfamiliar to them, using activities, such as CBeebies colouring games or Crickweb drag and drop mouse games