EARLY LEVEL TECHNOLOGIES
Experiences and Outcomes Benchmarks
Organiser – Computing Science • Demonstrates an understanding of how symbols can represent process and information.

• Predicts what a device or person will do when presented with a sequence of instructions for example, arrows drawn on paper.

Understanding and analysing computing technology
I understand that sequences of instructions are used to control computing technology.

TCH 0-14a

Links to: Numeracy & Maths – Shape, Position & Movement MTH 0-17a

Progression

I can/am able to I can/am able to I can/am able to
Explore & play with toys & games that can be programmed. Begin to recognise how symbols are used to represent process & information in the world around me e.g. pictorial hand washing instructions. Recognise how symbols are used to represent process & information in the world around me e.g. Following pictorial instructions to build a Lego toy.
From Education Scotland National Improvement Hub “What digital learning might look like”:

* “Play, or ‘tinker’, with programmable devices just like any other toy in the room during play. Exploring concrete materials, such as Code-a pillar or Bee-bots is essential to learners’ understanding of how devices work

* Solve simple challenges, such as getting the Bee-bot from point A to point B”

Begin to recognise the order in which instructions are carried out e.g. when playing with toys & games, or when using electrical equipment. Through exploration and play begin to predict what a person or device will do in response to a given set of verbal or visual instructions e.g. Where will a human robot (or programmable device) end up in response to simple instructions (two or three). Through exploration and play predict what a person or device will do in response to a given set of verbal or visual instructions e.g. Where will a human robot (or programmable device) end up in response to four or more instructions.

“Play the role of the Bee-bot and try to follow a friend’s instructions to move through a course or activity, such as making a model with playdough or drawing a picture they describe.”