SECOND LEVEL TECHNOLOGIES
Experiences and Outcomes Benchmarks
Organiser – Computing Science • Demonstrates an understanding that all computer data is represented in binary for example, numbers, text, and black and white graphics.

• Describes the purpose of the processor, memory and storage and the relationship between them

• Demonstrates an understanding of how networks are connected and used to communicate
and share information, for example the internet.

Understanding and analysing computing technology
I understand how information is stored and how key components of computing technology connect and interact through networks.

TCH 2-14b

Links to: TCH 2-01a

Progression

I can/am able to I can/am able to I can/am able to
Say that computers hold all information using binary numbers 1 or 0. Explore how this information is translated into denary numbers through activities

Explanation and activities for Binary Numbers on Computing Science Unplugged site

Understand how a black & white graphic is represented by a computer.
Talk about the basic functions of the various internal parts of a computer e.g. processor = brain, memory = short term memory, back up storage = filing cabinet Begin to use the correct terminology to describe parts of the computer e.g. RAM, CPU, hard drive, memory stick, SD cards. Demonstrate an understanding of the purpose &relationship of the processor, memory and storage.
Demonstrate how information is stored on school networks (wired and wireless, server, router, cabinet) & explain the journey data takes & how it is stored e.g. My Documents, shared area. Demonstrate how information is stored on remote servers (e.g. One Drive accessed through Glow) & explain how this can be accessed from different locations & devices. Communicate & share information via networks or online e.g. Glow email & One Drive applications.