Spooky Houses

1 Star (3 votes, average: 1.00 out of 1)

Our spooky house paintings are complete and we are so proud of them!  Everyone listened carefully to the instructions and put in 100% effort.  Fantastic!

Last week we focused on creating a spooky beginning to a story, linked to our paintings.  We talked about how to draw the reader in and how to use different punctuation to add suspense and excitement.  We then spent time reading each other’s work and editing what we had written, looking for capital letters and correct punctuation.  We also had to check that it made sense.

Here is a sneak preview of some story beginnings…

One cold, dark night I found a haunted house. It was dark so I couldn’t see much but I could see enough to make me shiver. A tree fell making me jump but I kept on going, intrigued by it’s spooky silhouette. Lightning struck and in the flash of light, I saw a cloak swish past the window, but it was too late to turn back now. As I opened the door I heard an evil cackle, was it a witch? Or a ghost? My heart skipped a beat as I walked into the unknown.

One night, I was walking through a dark, gloomy forest. I noticed a haunting house. It was old and dusty and the garden was covered in fungus and parasites! As I walked to the door I heard some spooky sounds. the noises continued. I tried to ignore it and moved on. Inside things were even worse!  The furniture was broken and the hallways were putrid. I went into the basement and the lights started to flicker.

One dark and stormy night I found myself in a giant corn maze.  I could smell the horrible smell of still lifeless decaying bodies of animals and even humans. After what felt like hours of walking, I found the way out. Then I had found a house. I thought “Finally! I found somewhere to sleep!”