P5 Lego Robotics

Primary 5 had a fantastic morning during our ‘Lego Robotics’ Computer Xplorers workshop with Mr McGill. Pupils worked collaboratively to build lego models and then applied their programming/coding skills to animate these.  Mrs Dyson was very proud of the teamwork skills demonstrated and the amazing robots created. Pupils have been using Scratch and Code.org in class to develop their skills and this has been an excellent opportunity for them to apply their learning in a new context. We would like to thank Mr McGill once again for returning to Dalbeattie and enthusing pupils in STEM activities. A most memorable day!

Please read our pupil comments below the photographs.

“Today I learned how to make Lego robots and how to use motors, sensors and how to use a Lego program to control our robots.” Olive

“I would recommend this workshop because it’s fun and you do a lot of cool stuff. You make your own robots and use a computer to tell your robot what to do.”  Abi

“It was hilarious when Alpha One dabbed. I think he is a better dancer than me plus he can do push-ups with one hand, he’s so strong.”  Farrel

“My favourite model to make was the kicking legs because I put the forever control on it and it went so fast that it was jumping and wriggling everywhere on the table.”  Kourtney

“Mr McGill was funny and was precise too.”   Cairn

“My favourite Lego model was the Dancing Birds because they spun around and we made them speak.”   Jack

“Aoife and I built a lion – it could sit down, stand up, sense its bone and then sit back down.”  Milly

“I learned that things are easy with instructions but when I built freestyle with my partner, it was much harder.”  Hollie

“I enjoyed making the spinner because Jamie-Leigh and I had a challenge of who could spin for the longest time.”  Cadence

“I learned what STEM stands for – Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics.” Aoife

“It was amazing when the Lego robots started to spin and make noises. My favourite model was the aeroplane because when you pointed it down, the propeller started but when the aeroplane pointed up, the propeller stopped.”  Noah

“It was really funny when Rio and I were building the Roaring Lion because when it was built, we pressed the play button and it raised its arms . . . boof, it hit its own head off!”  Harry

“My favourite Lego model was the Hungry Crocodile because it was so cool.” Jamie

“It was funny when the boot flew off our kicking legs and when the boat fell off the stand and flew across the table.”  Finn

“Before the Lego Robotics workshop I felt excited yet worried that I was going to mess up the program.”  Rio

“I learned how the motor worked and how to use code in the program.”  Rhys

“It was very funny when Alpha One did the dab in front of everyone.”  Stuart

“I enjoyed making the Hungry Crocodile.”  Callum

“I enjoyed making the Lego boat with Stuart. It was awesome.”  Logan

“I would recommend this workshop because it’s funny, smart and literally the BEST!”   Owen

“Before the Lego Robotics workshop I felt calm but when the day started, I was getting excited.”  Zach

“My favourite model was the Hungry Crocodile. The cool part was when you put your hand near the sensor and the mouth closed. Snap!”  Kalib

“I enjoyed working with Sam to make the lion and the kicking legs.”  Josh

“It was funny when I lifted the lions legs and its head came off.”  Irvin

“I learned to code with Lego robots. The workshop is just amazing.” Fabio

“I really enjoyed making the Roaring Lion and recording my voice.” Amie