One of our school improvement priorities this session is to improve the health and wellbeing of our young people. Part of this priority was to improve our arrangements for lunchtimes and breaktimes.
We are now writing to you to keep you informed of the improvements we have made and to ask for your support in promoting our approach.
- Our playgrounds have seen improvements. Thanks to the Tesco Bags for Life scheme we have a lovely new shelter in the P5-7 playground. This provides shelter as well as a fun area for imaginative play. Thanks to the Tesco scheme the P1-4 playground will soon be getting three new play panels – one mirror and two blackboards.
- We have introduced a Lunchtime Club to support some of our young people to further develop their social skills
- We, as the Pupil Council were successful in our bid to the “Loot for Lerwick” scheme and received £781. They have used this to purchase new board games and art and craft materials. Every floor in the three storey block now has a box containing age appropriate games and materials for ‘inside playtimes’.
- During all terms children will be strongly encouraged to play outside to get fresh air and exercise. For any children who are unable to go outside due to health reasons a note from their parent/carer is required.
- On days when the weather is poor or it is unsafe to go outside we will have ‘inside break’. Morning break will be spent in classrooms accessing a range of activities and toys. During lunch breaks, on each floor there were will three areas for the children to access – 1) construction and board games 2) film or cartoon 3) quieter area for craft, drawing, colouring or reading. Whenever possible the children will tidy up at 1325 and have their last 10 minutes outside in the playground. This allows us to encourage healthy living.
For this to be successful we require all children to come to school with suitable clothing and footwear for outside play. If you would like your child to bring and leave a pair of wellington boots in school we would be happy to store them in the classroom. Please ensure your child’s name is on them! We would also be happy to receive any surplus boots that may be used throughout the school.