A Picture of Outdoor Learning

Today we went outside to do some art in the sun. We were creating pieces of art using natural materials from the environment around our school. In groups of four we had to look around and collect anything that we thought would look good in out picture. It was important not to destroy any flower beds or vegetable patches and find things on the ground. Some of the things we found were stones, weeds, leaves, broken flower heads or petals, sticks/bamboo, logs, grass, bark and mint leaves.

We had to work together as a group by having some people as collectors and some to organise the materials. We had to communicate with one another to tell the collectors what to find and to decide what our picture would look like. It was good exploring parts of the school that we don’t usually get to go to and it was fun! We had to watch our time because we had a time limit. It was a competition to see who could think creatively and use the materials usefully. It got quite competitive hunting for unique things. Kai even turned up with the top of a broken bird table. We liked learning out doors and enjoying the environment. It was difficult to choose the winner but as a class we decided to have two winning groups – my group who made ‘Joanna Jelly’ the Hawaiian lady and ‘Funhouse’. Well done!

6 thoughts on “A Picture of Outdoor Learning”

1. Hi Ellie,
    This is a great post full of detail of your art work. It looks like it was a great day for it and the photos show that you have a lovely school ground to work in. The finished product look great. I like too how you explain the process of the group work and rolls.
    A wee WordPress tip. One of the images needs rotated, you can do that in the Dashboard. Here is how:
    Edit the post
    Click on the gallery and then on the pencil.
    In the Gallery editor click on the picture you want to rotate.
    In the detail on the right you will see a link to Edit. Click that.
    You should be able to figure out what to do then.
    Happy Blogging!

2. Ellie,
    Well done. I’m super impressed with your description of your creative outdoor art pieces. An outstanding display of how to use natural materials. Great team work P7.

3. I really loved spending outdoor time with all our class mates. Its not just art we are learning we are learning about mother nature and enjoying the environment, I love outdoor learning its so fun! you can make all sorts off stuff like you saw in the photos!^^
    and as John said “I like too how you explain the process of the group work and rolls.” Its just amazing of all the things u can make with the environment even with sticks and stones!

As you may know we have posted lots more blogs so make sure to check them out!

4. Hi I am Becky from the blog “The Braw Bloggers” and I thought that your outdoor learning picture is really cool and creative. I was also wondering how long it took you to make it ?

1. Hi Becky ! 😀 ,
      As you where asking it we had about 15-20 minutes to collect our materials and stuff and after we got another 10 minutes to finish our picture :D!

Thanks for stopping by our Blog!