Responsible Scots!

UNCRC Article 8 – You have the right to an identity.

Let’s think about how learning about Scottish culture helps us to become Responsible Citizens. Learning about our culture and history gives us the knowledge and understanding  of our place in the world as well as confidence in our identity.

Scots Language is an important part of Scottish life because so many people speak it. In 2011, the Census recorded one and a half million speakers of Scots. Do you speak any Scots or does someone your family or community speak it? Do you use and understand words like aye, wee, greetin, bonnie, pinkie and shoogle?

scots

If our current generation doesn’t look after Scots by using and celebrating it, there is a chance that future generations simply won’t speak Scots at all! We want to keep the language alive so we don’t lose it forever. What do you think about learning and using Scots?

scots 2scots-books-007identity

19 thoughts on “Responsible Scots!”

1. I think it is important to keep the Scots language alive as it is a great language that could die if we stop speaking it. When we were learning Scots we saw lots of words that we use in our everyday life that we didn’t realise were Scots words. I really enjoy learning Scots because in some ways we learned a new a language and I don’t think anyone found it as hard as learning French because the words came naturally to us. The person that speaks Scots the most I know is my Mum and dad’s friend who uses lots of words he also uses word that are Aberdeen Scots.

2. I think The Scots language is misunderstood to be slang, when really its a proper language that people speak.
    When we first started looking at Scots, I was surprised at how many words that we use or that have originated from the Scots language! I really don’t want us to lose the Scots language and I wish it was more known, in years to come we will probably lose the language and its culture if we don’t use it.

3. I agree with Andrew who said we need to keep the language alive because it is part of our culture. Without realising it we use Scots words everyday saying things like ‘look at the wee bit of fluff’ and ‘aye, that’s a great idea’ One of the most famous Scots ever wrote in Scots so it’s good to say we can understand some of the poems he wrote. People say that scots isn’t practical and wouldn’t speak it at a job interview but really there is nothing wrong with doing that. I also find it easier than French because some words are the same.

4. I agree with Lucy because scots isn’t slang, it is a language that people speak in their everyday life. Even though I only have one person in my family that speaks a wee bit of scots that doesn’t mean I shouldn’t love it too. People think scots isn’t a language, it doesn’t matter, it is like debating. You want to stand up for speaking scots and then on the other hand people want to get you to speak normal English. You should never mock people by the way they speak like if you speak Indian or Scottish and many more. If someone came over to you and mocked the way you spoke then how would you feel?

5. I agree with Lucy scots is generally misunderstood as slang when it is actually a language. If we stop learning and speaking scots it will die out, in my family my gran and granda speak certain scots words that I now understand. Scots is a language just like Indian and English, it should be understood as language not mocked or called slang

6. I am really proud of your responses so far P7! Martin and Andrew, I agree about not realising how many Scots words are already in our vocabulary. Lucy F I can see how passionate you are about learning and using Scots. Lucy D, you make a great point about people mistaking Scots for slang. You need to share your learning about Scots language so other people realise this too!

7. I think that scots is a good language that could die if we stop speaking it so we should keep speaking it to keep it alive. When we learned about Robert Burns and Scots in school we didn’t realise how many words we use in life that are Scots words. People think that its slang and they correct them for it.

8. I think if we don’t inform people of our herital language Scots, we will lose it for good. When I learned about Burns I was surprised how many of the words that we speak today in English. My Grandad uses a lot of Scots word in his ordinary day and I think it’s good that he has grown up with the words that is from our heritage.

9. I think that Scots is a great language and we never realise that we use it all the time! Scots is our own language that has been handed down for hundreds of years, it’s part of our culture and part of our history. The Scots language gives our people an identity so that we are recognised across the globe. In fact my grandad MacDonald’s family came from a island from the north western part of Scotland, where the Scots language and Gaelic is commonly spoken. I’m proud of the Scots language and proud to be Scottish. AYE!!!

10. i dont think scots language is considered a language anymore when it really is. I speak scots without even realising! Scots lanuage is a big chunk of our identity which we need to be recognised. Scots language will only exist if we make it exist. So be scottish – it is you are!

11. I think being a scot is good and I am happy I am .a lot of people say Scotland’s bad because it rains a lot but at least we don’t get natural disasters. I already knew a lot of scots but I’ve learned some more because of the burns supper which is a Scottish tradition.

12. Everyone has the right to a nationality and the right to show it off. You shouldn’t be scared to be what you are in public. You don’t need to be born in the country to be part of it. As long as you live in it your part of it.
    Also Scotland is a good country to be part of.
    its a nice place in the highlands and there language is really good.

13. I think scots is a great language is very good and I am ok at it I would like to be better at it .

14. its great to be scots it gives us a true identity we should bring back the language I am real proud to speak scots its a I never spoke scots.

15. I think scots is sometimes misunderstood for slang, when it is a actually a language. If we stop speaking and learning scots the language will die out. When we started learning about scots I was surprised how many words I had either said or heard my family, friends and people around me say.

16. It is so important to keep the scots language alive. It is a part of our heritage and our identity, and we actually do still use a lot of scots words in everyday conversations, like aye, footer, pinkie and lots more! Scots is such a unique and fun language, and there are no other languages like it. Also, we need to spread the word that scots and slang are totally different things! Scots is an official language!!

17. Scots is a great language and its sad that it will no longer be known in the future if we don’t share our learning with others.
    Its weird that we all use Scots in our daily lives without realising it. I think Scots is way more easy to learn than French 🙂
    I have enjoyed learning all about Scots language and its definitely a language that should stay forever.

18. I think we should keep scots even though I don’t enjoy speaking it. I still think we should keep it as its part of our country. It might just be people in the highlands that speak it but we should still think of it as a langue.

19. I think it is very amusing how much we say scots. I didn’t even realise the word pinky was scots and I use that a lot. My gran speaks the most scots because she was brought up like that and all of my mums side was. Scots has been used for hundreds of years and hopefully years to come. I’m very proud to be Scottish and I am happy the way I am!