S4

Year Head

Mrs Barton

May weekend

Morning S4,
I hope you are all well. As we head toward the holiday weekend, I wanted to check all of you have the information below. It’s vital we continue where we can with our studies, so that our transition to S5 is as seamless as possible. We want your learning to continue to help you manage your studies at the next level, be that National 5 or Higher.
  • National 5 and Higher English and Maths general Teams have been set up so you should all have access to the work being posted;
  • Some other subjects have also posted links to Higher and National 5 work;
  • For other options, you should be learning through Scholar or BBC Bitesize – at the appropriate level;
  • You should also be logging on to My World of Work and completing some of the tasks which can help you to write a CV;
  • As always, if you need any further clarification, please e mail me.
If you don’t have access to usernames or passwords, then please contact me sooner rather than later. I understand it may seem daunting re-engaing with work, but if you are equipped with the usernames and passwords, then at least you can make a start now.
I genuinely hope you are all well and following government guidelines. It is hard but if we all pull together, then hopefully these restrictions will soon start to be lifted. Please keep in touch. It’s lovely hearing from you with your plans for the future, the volunteering you are involved in and how you are coping.
Take care for now,
D. MacBride

Donnie MacBride

Online learning

Afternoon S4,

Below a message from Mrs McCauley, your year head next year! 🙂 Please ensure you are keeping your studies up. When we do return, you will be studying at a higher level be it National 4, National 5 or Higher. It’s important you keep your knowledge and understanding of your subjects up to date, so please engage with the work being offered by staff, as best you can .

Regards,

Mr MacBride

DHT S4

Good morning everyone

I’m not sure whether you are aware or not but you can change your courses on Scholar to give yourself access to some of the subjects you may be  choosing for next session. 

Log into scholar using through glow (or using you username and password). (You should download the Scholar tile to your launchpad first if you haven’t already done this.)

Scroll to the bottom and move the tab beside ‘support for other courses’ to the right. This will then give you access to other courses contained with Scholar.

Happy studying

Jan McCauley

DHT S5/6

Options for S5

Afternoon S4,

I hope you are all well. Please check your e-mails for a message from Mrs McCauley regarding your options for S5. I know many of you have already chosen these. The deadline is Friday 3pm.

Note, you can only submit once. So please give it careful consideration before you hit send. I am aware some of you are stuck on what to choose as certain subjects only fall under certain columns. Every option form has it’s limitations.  My suggestion is, you make your choices now and on return to school, we can deal with any concerns you may have. Of course I am always on e-mail should you wish to discuss.

Speak soon,

Mr MacBride

DHT S4

Welcome back S4!

Please keep up to date with your Microsoft Teams. As always if you have any questions please e-mail me or message through the S4 Teams page.

Stay safe!

D. MacBride

DHT S4

Year Head

Mr MacBride

SQA Information Update 03.04.20

Dear Parent / Carer / Student,

Following my communications yesterday, we now have more information from the SQA.

Yesterday evening we received further guidance from the SQA stating that no internal coursework will now be marked by external markers. This includes all coursework that has already been sent away. Please see below revised guides for more information. Schools now have an extended deadline to submit estimate grades so please do not contact members of staff asking for more information about your (or your child’s) estimates.

Thank you for your patience and support,

Mrs Carr

Head Teacher

020420-SQA-NQ2020-Parent-Carer-covid-19-FAQ

Shawlands Academy SQA exam diet 2020 – FAQ V2 030420

SQA and Home Learning Update 02.04.20

Good morning,

Thank you for your patience as we adjust to the unprecedented times we find ourselves in. Please be assured that we are doing everything that we can to ensure that all young people are not disadvantaged by the current climate.

As you will appreciate, information is changing at quite a pace but I wanted to try to answer as many questions as possible – that some of you may have. Please read the attached document – which will hopefully clarify the position in terms of the 2020 SQA Examination diet. Should any information change, I will update you as soon as possible.

In the interim, your child has been sent an e mail with possible suggestions for work as we approach the spring break. For those returning to S5 or S6, online options will be sent out in due course. We are confident that we will be able to complete this process remotely.

For the moment, there are things that your child can be working on:

• Log on to My World of Work – there is a tile on your GLOW homepage that will take you directly to this. Complete some of the questionnaires and activities – these will help you to plan the subjects you need to opt for next session;
  • Use the guidelines on My World of Work to write a CV or begin a Personal Statement – this is good preparation for the next stage in your learning;
  • If there are subjects that you definitely know you are taking next session, begin accessing the resources on the school website or BBC Bitesize. More information will be shared about this after the spring break.I hope you and your family are safe and well.Head Teacher
  • Mrs Pauline Carr
  • Please do not hesitate to contact your child’s Pastoral Care Teacher or Year Head if you still have further questions or need more information. 

S4 Curriculum Planning 2020-2021

Dear S4 Pupil please click on the link below to access the options booklet for next session. An email will be sent to you with a link to an electronic options form.

All fourth and fifth year pupils who intend to return for fifth or sixth year in August 2020 will soon begin making their subject choices for next session.

Pupils will be supported during the options process and each will be interviewed by their Pastoral Care teacher to ensure that appropriate choices are made.   Your son/daughter will receive a copy of the Curriculum Planning Booklet which describes the curriculum in fifth and sixth year, and further information will be delivered through assemblies and PSE classes.

In addition to this, you are invited to our curriculum planning information evening which will be held on Tuesday 14 January from 7:00 until 9:00pm.