We would like to extend a warm welcome to all of our new Primary 1s and families. We have been delighted with how well the children have already started to pick up our daily routines and have managed well in the lunch hall. We have had a busy week exploring the classroom, playing in our outdoor areas and have enjoyed sharing stories and songs together.
We will update our blog regularly so please visit from time to time to see what we have been up to.
Primary 1 have had lots of fun thinking of songs which remind them of this year. You might want to play some of these songs over the summer!
- ‘Shotgun’ by George Ezra
- ‘Mamma Mia’ by ABBA
- ‘Hold my Girl’ by George Ezra
- ‘A Whole New World’ from Aladdin
- ‘What does the Fox Say?’ by Ylvis
- ‘Paradise’ by George Ezra
- ‘Shut up and Dance’ by Walk the Moon
- ‘Baby Shark’ by Pinkfong
- Anything from the Greatest Showman
- ‘You’ve got a friend in me’ from Toy Story
- ‘Farewell my Friend’ Bubble Education
- The Beltane song!
Primary 1 had lots of fun on Friday designing, building and decorating their junk model buildings. The children had some super ideas and made houses, hotels, hospitals, police stations and shops. They had to be creative and use their problem solving skills as they worked out how to attach the boxes securely to each other.
Then we put the buildings together to make a street. We enjoyed walking down the street. Can you spot yours?
This morning, the Primary 1s worked with the Primary 7s to make wonderful Beltane Rosettes to wear for the Beltane lunch.
The children demonstrated some great team work as they worked together to follow the instructions, practise their cutting skills and share resources.
We look forward to wearing our badges with pride on Thursday. Hooray!
On Friday we had a great time working with our P7 buddies planting and tidying up the school grounds. We saw some great team work as the children shared equipment and listened to each other.
We planted some new plants in the empty planters and did some weeding and litter picking. We are looking forward to checking on the plants as they grow. Great work everyone!
Here are some of our highlights from last week:
- Learning more about money in maths and counting coins to help us with adding and take away sums.
- Practising throwing and catching in PE as part of our cricket lessons.
- Reading exciting reading books!
- Planting and gardening with our P7 buddies.
- Playing with our friends in the playground.
Primary 1 have had a great time practising doubling numbers together. We really enjoyed playing ‘Hit the Button’ on the interactive whiteboard!
Here is the link if you want to play at home: https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/hit-the-button
We have had a very busy week in Primary 1! The children have enjoyed reflecting on their favourite moments of the week:
- I enjoyed helping my nursery buddy during the ‘stay and play’.
- I liked running in the final of the county sports.
- I liked practising my adding in maths.
- I liked reading my new reading books. We are reading the Magic Key.
- I liked showing my Granny my work on the open afternoon.
- I liked drawing and writing stories in our new writing area!
One of the children in our class has found some very old keys in her house and brought them in to share with us. The keys made us think about the Magic Key from our reading books. We guessed what the keys might be for:
”I think they are giant’s keys”
”They are the keys to a castle”
”They are keys to a secret room”
”The keys might open a door which takes us to sweetie land”
We hope to use these keys to inspire our writing. What do you think the keys might be for?
We were very excited to receive some new books for our class library which we had chosen from our Book Fair. We look forward to sharing them together and using our reading skills to help us to complete different activities related to our new books.