Grammar School 1970s

Thank you so much to Gordon Presly for sharing the photograph below with us. It dates back to circa 1969-1970. Mrs Faulds is the teacher with the class and Mr Mayor, the school janitor, is also in the picture.

Back row: James Sutherland, Craig Rankin, Stuart Alexander, Graeme Smith, Andrew Brown, John Mungall, Alistair Brown, Gordon Presly

Middle: Hugh Morton, Susan Christiansen (?), Janet McCulloch, Diane Reid, Lesley Mather, Eleanor Baird, Fiona Spence, Philip Osborne

Bottom row: John Young, Hughie Cummings, Evelyn Wyper, Linda Wilson, Mary Montgomery, Diane Carrol, Margaret Barton, Alex Daly

These 3 photos are thanks to Nancie Boyd:

This one is from 1971. The teacher on the left is Miss Edgar and on the right Mrs Stevenson, who went on to be Head Teacher at Silverwood Primary.

This one is also from around 1971 during a visit to Calderglen:

This final one is from 1973. Thank you so much to Nancie for allowing us to use these pictures.

This next photo was given to us by Dianne Fleming. Thank you, Dianne. It was taken of P7 in 1971. Top left to right:
David Drennan, Iain Thomson, Alan Brodie, Bobby ?, Iain Duncan, Philip Hall
Tommy Montgomery, Lesley Forwell, Nancy Campbell, Ray Nicholson, Karen McKinna, Kenneth Wilson
John Cairney, Iain Morrison, Alison Porter, Janice Mullen, Dianne Peace, Lorna McIntyre, Edith Prosser, Fiona Stevenson, Graeme Ritchie, ??
The teacher in the picture is Miss Montgomery.

The picture below was sent to us by Julie Work. Thank you for this little gem! It shows the P5 class in 1971 with Mrs Rankin. Julie’s sister is in the picture in the middle row, third from the right.

Interestingly, looking at the wall behind and the window frames, you can see it is the same building as the pictures in the pre-WW1 page. Look very closely, and you will also see the children with the ‘Gargieston’ badge on their blazers, in its earlier life.

RAY WALKINSHAW: The kids in the later picture are (left to right, back to front): Stephen Campbell, Charlie Montgomery, Alex Conn and Jim Brown; Fiona Andrew, unknown, Deborah Elliot, Lynn McAvoy, Rhona Armstrong, Sharon Byers and Fiona Mason; James Wilson, Ray Walkinshaw, Tom Hynd, Barbara-Jane Stevenson, Sandra Barton, Catherine Edwards (?), Tony Sykes and Danny Carroll. Fiona Mason is now Fiona Drennan and a teacher at Kirkstyle. Apologies to the two ladies whose names I’m not sure of.

ANNA McCULLOCH: I too attended Grammar School and the teacher is Mrs Kelly who taught Pl alongside Mrs Wallace and Miss Burns. I attended from 1948 to 1955 then on to KA. My two brothers also attended before me and I am positive that the first boy on the left in the back row is Fergus McCulloch.

DIANNE FLEMING (nee PEACE): The picture in 1947 was taken at the front entrance gates from Dundonald rd, the bike sheds are at either side where we used to play or shelter from the rain, I attended Grammar school from 1965-1972. I will need to look out my class photos as I still have them. My brother also went to this school from 1962-1967.

HEATHER SWINSON: I was delighted to stumble across these photos. I was taught by Mrs Kelly in P1 in 1956. I think I was taught by Mrs Rankin too in P4.

DAVID COWAN: Hi does anyone have any photos between my primary 1days from 1969 till primary 6 in 1975 when we moved to the new Gargieston primary for primary 7.My classmates at the time we’re James Craig Stewart Davidson Stewart orr Ian Smith to name but a few. Girls I remember we’re Morag Jardine Joyce Duncan and many more I could mention.