Good morning everyone,
This week we are exploring poetry!
Today’s topic is funny or nonsense poetry.
Activities to choose from:
- Read and or listen to some poems. https://childrens.poetryarchive.org/explore/?key=&type=&poet=&theme=127&form=&age=
- Read and or listen to some poems and think about what they mean. https://childrens.poetryarchive.org/explore/?key=&type=&poet=&theme=127&form=&age=
- Research acrostic poems and create your own about something FUNNY or NONSENSE. https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/z4mmn39/articles/ztdvw6f
- Research haiku poems and create your own funny or nonsense poem. https://www.youngwriters.co.uk/info/other/poetry-types/haiku-poem
- Create a funny or nonsense poem (it doesn’t have to rhyme).
Enjoy the following fun and nonsense poems (they may also give you some ideas for your own poems):
The Old Man Of Peru
There was an old man of Peru,
Who dreamt he was eating his shoe.
He woke in the night
In a terrible fright,
And found it was perfectly true.
No Harm Done
As I went out
The other day,
My head fell off
And rolled away.
But when I noticed
It was gone,
I picked it up
And put it on.
Jessica was playing
On the escalator.
When suddenly she tripped
And the escalator ate her!
Laura Leathem (Language and Communication Teacher)