We would like to extend a warm welcome to our new Primary One pupils and families. The staff at Inverkip Primary are excited to meet you when the new term begins in August. Starting school is always a moment of great anticipation and excitement.
It is natural for children to have a bit of anxiety and maybe even a few questions – what will my teacher be like, who will be in my class, etc. But the focus should always be on the new upcoming adventure of learning and growing.
To make it all go smoothly, we have prepared and included a number of resources to support you in this time of transition:
- A guide to starting school information booklet filled with useful information and tips.
- An ‘All about me ‘booklet that we would like parents to complete alongside their child. This booklet should be filled out and must be brought along to school on the first day. The information you provide will allow us to find out key information essential for settling your child and meeting their individual needs.
- A Transition ‘Pupil Passport’ in child friendly language.
- A virtual map of the school (Scan the QR code to see photos of our school). Click here: Inverkip Primary Interactive Plan QR map
- A ‘Welcome to Inverkip Primary’ transition video link to our YouTube channel. Please note that this was filmed during the pandemic but is still relevant today. Click on the link to watch a short video and we hope you enjoying hearing from staff and pupils about life at Inverkip Primary. https://youtu.be/0R7n9q_Py4I
- We have made a Virtual 360 tour of our school building and using that alongside the QR map we hope that you can still take a look around our lovely school. Click here for our virtual tour: https://poly.google.com/view/dVmPK12dH7b
- Join our school Twitter page where you will find lots of useful information @InverkipPrimary
A key responsibility is to help your children embrace this moment of starting school and prepare them to get the most out of it as possible. What can you do? First and foremost, help create a climate of positive anticipation. If possible, take time before school even begins to visit the outside of the school. Take virtual walks around the school, and begin to make everything from driving to the school, walking in the front door, to being at the building very familiar. This will be “their” school and we all want them to feel a pride and passion in being there. Share the joy and encourage that sense of “can’t wait to get to school.”
We want to partner with you in helping to nurture and support your children and believe that great schools are based on strong relationships. Find ways to engage yourself in school life and make the educational experience at Inverkip Primary School ‘a way of life,’ not just the place where you ‘send’ your children. Your child will learn to collaborate, communicate, think creatively and critically, and will learn transferable skills for the future. Home and school together make a tremendous partnership and the beneficiary of all of that love and care, challenge and support, nurturing and mentoring, is ultimately your child.
And above all else, cherish these years for and with your child. This may not be the start to school that you envisaged but together we will turn this into a positive experience. Never lose sight of the fact that time moves quickly and the growth that you will see on a daily basis will seem to flash by you in no time. We are here to support and if you have any questions or queries please do not hesitate to get in touch.
Mrs Una Nicolson