Newton Farm Primary School and Nursery Class

Room 7’s Learning

Room 7 have had another busy week. We cannot believe it’s February already.
We have been consolidating our reading and writing of ‘ow’ and ‘ou’ phoneme words. We have continued learning about instructions. This week we focused on using clear and easy to understand language, verbally giving instructions to make chocolate covered fruit skewers. We then made our own for an afternoon snack. Next week, we will use what we have learned to write a set of instructions.
In numeracy, we have continued linking addition and subtraction.
We began our first week of fitness in P.E. Over the next 5 weeks, we will record the number of reps we can do for 6 different exercises and assess our personal progress.
We are confident logging into and signing out of Chromebooks. We added the email tile to our Glow launch pad and sent ourselves an email. We recognise when and why emails are used as communication.
We had a fabulous class discussion after beginning to read a story set at sea. The description of ‘murky depths’ prompted many questions, leading us to an interesting discussion about the depth of the ocean, the sinking of the Titanic, scuba diving and finally looking at Flightradar to track flight in real time. It is amazing what a good book can do!
I would like to introduce a ‘Mystery Reader’ session. Every Friday, a mystery reader will read a short story or a section of a book they are reading at home, to the class. I have spoken with the children about this, if your child would like to take part, please encourage them to come and speak to me or write me a note and I will add them to the calendar. We will begin with one reader a week. If this proves to be popular, we can introduce a second session. I will give each volunteer prior notice so they have time to practise reading the text they would like to share.
Have a lovely weekend!