Newton Farm Primary School and Nursery Class

Last week was extremely busy for Room 5. We had our class trip and celebrated British Science Week 2024.

On Monday, we went on our class trip to the National Museum of Rural Life in East Kilbride. It was so much fun and we were very thankful that it stayed dry for us. We got to explore the museum and look at lots of old farming machinery. We then took a short tractor ride up to the farm to see some of the animals. We saw cows, sheep, horses and hens to name a few. We enjoyed the fresh air whilst taking a walk through the fields. To end the day, we got a little play at the park with all of our friends from Room 6. It was a fantastic trip and one we will remember for a very long time.

We marked British Science Week by completing lots of Science based activities in class last week. We really enjoyed learning about static electricity. We used balloons to show static electricity and particularly enjoyed sticking up our hair and trying to get our balloons to stick to the wall. We ended the week by sharing some of our Science learning at assembly.

Primary 2 will not be sending home any more formal homework between now and the Easter break. Please just continue to catch up on any assigned Mathletics activities and rehearse your solo talk in preparation for presenting it to the class week beginning 25th March. Thank you again for your continued support with home learning this term, it is greatly appreciated. Please remember to bring in your decorated egg for the competition too. On Friday 22nd March, you should come to school in PE clothes for a fun obstacle course activity.

March 15, 2024
by Miss O'Brien
0 comments

Room 7

This will be the last week of formal homework to allow the children to focus on preparing their solo talks. The children will deliver their talks the week beginning 25th March.

Remember to decorate your eggs and return them before the 22nd of March.

Have a lovely weekend!

March 15, 2024
by Mrs Norton
0 comments

Room 4’s trip to Amazonia

We had a brilliant day in Amazonia today!  Have a look at some of the brilliant pictures from our trip.

RP – I holded a snake

YS – I holded a tarantula

BS – I holded a tarantula

Aria – I holded a snake

Chloe – I holded a snake and a spider

AM – There was fruit bats

Sophie – I holded a stick insect and a snake.

HL – I touched a snake.

HM – I saw the parrots

Z – I saw the ants crawling up the rope.

CM – I saw a duck on a stick.

SM – I saw an ant climbing up the rope.

JC – I touched a snake and saw a tortoise

KE – I holded a snake.

JB – I saw a snake.

HLA – I high fived a tarantula

AR – I holded a tarantula

March 15, 2024
by Ms Tighe
0 comments

Science Week in Room 18

**Blog Post by Brodie & John**

This week was science week and in room 18 we did a fun experiment. We were studying effervescent reactions. We put a berocca tablet in a cup of water and it fizzed up this was an effervescent reaction . because an effervescent reaction is where you put something in a cup of water and it fizzes up or turns into a gas. We also put sugar into tea  and it was not a effervescent reaction and we ended up making  a normal cup of tea. Also we put baking powder in a cup of vinegar and it overflowed and it was an effervescent reaction because it fizzed up.

March 15, 2024
by Miss Higgins
0 comments

Room 27

Thank you to Brody, Calum and Murray for this week’s post.

An update from Room 27.

This week is British Science week so we did science from Monday to Thursday.

On Monday we blew up a balloon and attached a bit of paper and put it on a piece of string and pushed it as hard as we could and the farthest we got was halfway there.

On Tuesday we had a load of materials and the materials were sugar, salt, water, coffee and other stuff.  When we put the materials in the cup we would mix it and see if it was soluble or insoluble.

On Wednesday we learned about Ramadan and we made our own lanterns.

Have a lovely weekend.

March 15, 2024
by Miss Campbell
0 comments

Room 11

Hello Everyone!

Apologies we have not posted in a while, we have been very busy in Room 11.

Recently, we visited the Science Centre in Glasgow. It was a fantastic day where we were able to learn lots of new and exciting information, as well as, explore the Planetarium to gain a greater insight into space. As The Waverley is docked there, we were even able to get an up close glimpse of the boat! (Our topic)

On Thursday, we had a visit from the STEM (P7) Ambassadors who helped us learn even more about space!

We have also been working very hard on further developing our writing skills.

Hope you have a lovely weekend!

Our Week in Room 21

March 15, 2024 by Miss Napier | 0 comments

This week has been the busiest week yet!

We’ve been completing different ‘British Science Week’ activities like studying velocity and taking part in experiments with balloons. Miss Napier also set us the challenges to make the longest length of unbroken paper we could using only a paper plate and a sheet of A3 paper. We had to communicate as teams before cutting the plates and paper, otherwise we’d lose the challenge! The longest piece of paper was 11 metres long!

In PE, we chose to play rounders. P6s vs P7s in the class. The P6s won both games!

We created our own clay sculptures after studying ‘The Thinker’ by Auguste Rodin. We took pictures of some poses, recreated them with the clay and then named them things like ‘The Daydreamer’ and ‘The Haaland.’

On Wednesday, some of the P7s went on an outing to Bothwell to meet Rt Rev Sally Foster-Fulton, the Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland. There was around 200 other pupils from Lanarkshire schools there who listened to her speak and answer questions about her job.

We’ve been taking a look at discursive writing lately and this week we discussed Banksy and whether or not we think he is an artist or a vandal. As a class, we decided he was a little bit of both!

The P7s also took part in the Easter Code project on Thursday. The chaplaincy team came to take it and it was an interesting afternoon!

By Pippa, Connor and Chloe

This gallery contains 9 photos

March 15, 2024
by Mrs Ventre
0 comments

Room 1

Good afternoon everyone!

This week Room 1 and Room 2 went on their first school trip to Amazonia.

OC – “We held a snake”

BB- “We touched a turtle”

KH- “We saw some monkeys”

CO – ” We got to feel a cockroach”

LM –  “The parrots were noisy”

EL – “We went on a bus”

WMC- ” We seen fruit bats

All of the boys and girls had a wonderful time. Please see some pictures below.

Have a lovely weekend.

Mrs Ventre

March 15, 2024
by Mr McCourt
0 comments

Our Week in Room 16

Written by Room 16

Welcome to this weeks Room 16 blog.

We have been learning in PE how to do basketball. We also have been making lovely 3D pictures of Scotland for our explorer topic. In maths we have been learning how to do division. For literacy we have learning about suffixes and adding letters to words like ‘ing’ and ‘ed’. We have also been learning about colours in French.

Thank you for reading our blog, From Room 16.