Newton Farm Primary School and Nursery Class

Book Week Scotland 📚

Last week we celebrated everything books in Room 6 and what a week we had! On Wednesday afternoon, we invited parents in to share our new Book Bug bags. These contained two books each as well as an activity book. We also got some games and puzzles which we thoroughly enjoyed playing with. Thank you to everyone who attended, it was such a great afternoon in the classroom.

Throughout the week we completed a novel study on the book ‘The Enormous Crocodile’ by Roald Dahl. We enjoyed listening to and discussing the characters in the story, as well as identifying inside (feelings) and outside (visual) traits of the main character. On Friday, we got a chance to use our ICT skills to access Bug Club on the iPads, where we read stories in pairs.

On Friday afternoon, we were very excited to meet this year’s mystery reader, Mrs Kelly! She read us a really funny story which we enjoyed sharing with Mrs Rae after the lesson. What a fantastic book week!

We were also very lucky throughout the week to have some visitors to Room 6 outwith Book Week. On Wednesday morning, Miss Riley came in to teach us about St. Andrew’s day. We learned that St. Andrew used to work as a fisherman and we designed some super fish as part of our art lesson. We also had a fantastic afternoon on Thursday when the STEM leaders came to visit. They taught us about the importance of recycling and set us a challenge to make some junk creations from some recycled materials. Have a look at our wonderful builds!

Yesterday we really enjoyed practising our new common words using the hidden picture strategy. We came up with some great images made out of words. We also had fun today decorating our class Christmas tree.

Here are some of our comments about our learning this week:

BM – I liked reading with my teddy.
SJ – I liked when the parents came in. 
RF – I liked when the parents came in because we got the books and the toys in the bag.
BM – I liked when we did trash art with the STEM leaders.
DT – I liked when we got the certificate in the book bag.
IW – I liked when we did fish with Miss Riley for St. Andrews Day.
HG – I absolutely loved when the parents came in to read with us. It was really fun because I beat my dad at snap.
HH – I liked putting the Christmas tree up.
SG – I loved when we had the challenge with the STEM leaders and I loved making a snowman.
QO – I loved today when we were hanging up the ornaments on the Christmas tree and when the adults came in and Mrs Rae made them put their hands on their heads. It was so funny.
IR – I liked performing our song at the assembly. 

Have a great week everyone!

Mrs Rae and Room 6 😊