Newton Farm Primary School and Nursery Class

Busy bees!

Over the past week, Room 6 have been so busy, even with the excitement of Halloween and Fireworks night. 

We have been continuing to develop our knowledge of different phonemes and the sounds they make in spelling, having moved on to the ‘aw’ phoneme this week. We have also been working hard to recognise both common and tricky words in a text as well as building fluency using our weekly reading book. This week we have really enjoyed concentrating on our allocated Bug Club book and have been working in groups to develop our understanding of this. 

In Numeracy, we have now completed our ‘Numbers to 100’ topic but will continue to revisit these processes to support overall understanding. We were keen to move on to ‘Addition’ and have started consolidating addition to 10. We have been making use of different strategies to help us, such as counting using our fingers, cubes and number lines. 

We are reaching the end of our Katie Morag topic and last week’s lesson concentrated on comparing a busy city with the quiet countryside. We had a super discussion about what can be found in a city and what can be found in the countryside. We then had a chat about how a busy city on the mainland could relate to our lives while a quiet life in the countryside may be similar to Katie Morag’s environment. To support our learning, we completed a sorting activity, where we identified what facilities, transport and natural features might be found in an urban or more rural area. We are looking forward to comparing our school with a school on the Isle of Coll tomorrow. 

Here are some comments below made about our learning over the past week:

QO – I have enjoyed starting to learn about addition because it is fun.

ND – I enjoyed doing Katie Morag when we did a cut and stick about what you can find in a city and what you can find in the countryside. 

HG – I liked learning our new common words and dong speed writing and desk writing. 

OM – I liked learning to count to 10 in French. 

AS – I liked working on my reading book this week.

SJ – I liked learning about 3D shapes.

HH – I liked learning about positive and negative risks and how we can stay safe.

Have a lovely week!

Mrs Rae and Room 6 🙂