Being Me!

In Glenwood, we celebrate what is special and unique about each and every person. We are all loved and included just for being who we are!

Our Being Me! tree

We had a special Being Me! celebration and invited all our families. We performed some of our favourite songs using Makaton signs. Our songs included our Rights song as we learn all about the rights of all children.

Together with our families we decorated wooden hearts to celebrate what is special and unique about us and to share some of things that are important to us.

My family
My pet cat   

My Eid present list
My Favourite character
My friends
My favourite cuddly toy
My interest in numbers
My love of rainbows
My family

Bereavement in Early Years

by Mrs McGrory

The themes of loss, change, grief and bereavement are challenging ones to discuss with children of any age let alone early years children. Everyone will experience loss at some point in their life. We often don’t approach the subject until we have suffered bereavement and then it can be too difficult to know how to discuss it with a very young child to help them cope with the grief. 

We cannot fully prepare anyone for a bereavement and the strong feelings associated with grief, however, encouraging children to talk openly or express themselves and explore a variety of ways of managing these often difficult emotions can be helpful when they face loss, change or even death. 

In early years we work hard at providing a range of experiences targeting the awareness of loss, grief and bereavement naturally in the centre’s environment. This is done through books, stories, puppets, emotion stones, arts, music and discussions about life cycles of animals and plants.

Each experience we provide is age appropriate and encourages children to listen, talk, express and share their feelings freely. It is so important for children to recognise their emotions, to have their emotions validated and have tools to help them regulate these sometimes overwhelming emotions. 

Simple language such as “look this plant has died, that made me sad. I really liked looking at the plant when it had the beautiful petals and it smelled amazing too.” It is very important when talking to children about death that you use simple and concrete words as children can interpret things very differently. For example “your Grandad is gone”. The child then thinks gone, gone where? Are they coming back? When they don’t come back it can cause the child anxiety because mummy’s gone to the shops …Oh no what happens if she doesn’t come back, like Grandad? It’s helpful to say your Grandad has died and that means we won’t see him again. I hear you gasp and say, you can’t say that to a 3 year old. Yes you can, it avoids confusion.

When talking to your child of the loss or bereavement, take their lead. They may want to know more or just sit with what they have been told. It’s important to care for yourself too as you could also be grieving this loss. If it becomes too much, allow someone else the child trusts to answer any more questions they may have.

I know when my mum died I really struggled and my children and I made a memory box to help us process our loss. We talked together, laughed together and cried together making the box full of our memories we had of this amazing person that we loved. 

All the experiences Glenwood provides can be done at home and we have some helpful resources which are welcome to take home should you need to do so. A group of professionals from across East Renfrewshire created and developed parent pamphlets and activities you can also do with your child and family. These are suitable from birth to high school and are accessible through your centre or school. 

Further information can be found here-

Support for Bereavement or Loss

and

Meeting Learners Needs- Support for Bereavement and Loss 

If you or a family member require any more information please ask a member of staff.

Our Values – Inclusion

by Mrs Clark

At Glenwood, we value the importance of inclusion for all our children and families, and strive to ensure this is clearly reflected in our nursery environment.  

We provide a safe, secure and nurturing environment that is accessible for all our children, creates a sense of belonging and reflects their individual needs, interests and rights.   

We recognise and celebrate the uniqueness of our children in many ways, including respecting and sharing our different family religions and cultures.  

We are fortunate to have 11 different languages spoken by our community of families which helps to create a richer learning environment.  These include English, Spanish, Italian, Greek, Turkish, Urdu, Arabic, Sinhala, Pashto, Punjabi and Vietnamese.

We have a range of fantastic resources, including books and games, that are invaluable in helping to teach our children about different experiences and what makes them unique, valued and respected in relation to culture, race, ethnicity, gender, disability, identity, nationality, religion, and beliefs.

We use a variety of strategies to support our children’s development and enable them to participate in play, such as Makaton as a whole nursery approach to promote and develop language and communication skills.

We adopt a ‘can do’ attitude to ensure that every child can achieve their potential.

Football

by Miss Chrystal

The children were excited when we received a delivery of new resources containing balls and other gym equipment such as skipping ropes and bibs.

We asked the children what they would like to do with our new equipment and they decided that they wanted to play football.  We collated all of their fantastic ideas and then together came up with a plan.

First of all, the children took responsibility for preparing our resources by pumping up the new footballs.

We have been focusing on different skills with the children, such as kicking and stopping the ball, as well as passing and dribbling. This has supported the children to further develop their understanding of the different stages of football.

The children have also been developing their gross motor and teamwork skills working alongside each other in small groups. The children have really enjoyed this block of football and are excited to show their families their talents.

Happy Diwali!

Happy Diwali to our families and friends celebrating this week.

Diwali is the five-day Festival of Lights, celebrated by millions of Hindus, Sikhs and Jains across the world.

Diwali is a festival of new beginnings and the triumph of good over evil and light over darkness, and for some also coincides with harvest and new year celebrations.

One of the ways people celebrate Diwali is by decorating their homes with colourful rangoli designs, lighting diyas or displaying lights around the house.

We have been learning about Diwali through stories, research and activities.

We painted colourful rangoli designs to decorate our nursery.

We created clay diya lights and painted these in bright colours.

Happy Diwali!

Potion Making

by Mrs Allison

After reading ‘Room on the Broom’ the children decided they would like to make their own Halloween potions. We used lots of natural ingredients like pumpkin seeds and pulp, herbs, spices and petals.

We had a few horrible ingredients too like Goblin snot and Giant’s toenails. The children used lots of different utensils to measure, stir, pour and mix our ingredients.

There was lots of great descriptive language being used when talking about our potions and the children came up with some brilliant names:

“Pumpkin in space”

“Unicorn in a bush”

“Dragon fire”

“Stinky Slime”

Afterwards some of the children used their mark making skills to make potion recipe books.

Bookbug

by Miss McCallum

Bookbug promotes positive interactions through telling stories, singing songs, rhymes and play. We have been taking part in sessions over the past few months to help encourage new friendships and develop positive relationships between staff and children.

We have also started our family session within the centre and have loved seeing how many families have joined us so far. Sharing stories, songs and rhymes with your children also have a huge impact on your child’s language development. Taking a few minutes each day to read a story or sing a song will help form positive parent and child relationships and help develop the connections in a child’s brain that promote emotional development. It is also a great way to have fun!

Children as decision makers

We noticed one of our books was torn so we repaired it with sticky tape. Lots of our books were looking tatty so Mrs Brown asked us what books we would like for the nursery.

“I like this kind.”(held up a flap book from the book corner) 

“I like dinosaur books.”

“I have a Yeti story in my house. I’d like that for nursery.”

“I like monster and dragon books. I am not scared by them!”

“I like this book.” (held up Room on the Broom by Julia Donaldson)

Adult- “I love Julia Donaldson books…. Do you think we need some more by that author?”

“Yes! We were looking for the Snail and the Whale in nursery but we couldn’t find it.”

“Yes, look at all those ones we could get.” (Looked at inside cover of the book to point to other titles by the same author)

“I like the Gruffalo and the Gingerbread man. I have them in my house.”

“I like the Worrysaurus.”

Here are some of the books we bought, just as requested by the children, along with some others to reflect our nursery values. We look forward to more books being delivered soon, including the ever popular Julia Donaldson titles and some traditional tales.

The yeti story
This book was torn and tatty so we replaced it.
Books with dinosaur characters
Lift the flap books
The Worrysaurus
More books supporting our emotions
Books with monsters
Books reflecting our diversity
Books promoting inclusion
Books to support emotional development

Our Strawberry Patch

by Mrs Wilson

The strawberry plants that we planted in April have finished producing fruit so we have been very busy caring for our strawberry patch.

We have been weeding out some grass that has grown there and cutting off leaves that have turned brown.

We noticed that lots of runners have grown from our strawberry plants and we have been learning how to plant these using compost, pots, trowels, dibbers and watering cans, so that we can grow new strawberry plants.

One of the children thought it would be a good idea to make a new sign for our strawberry patch so we used some old wood and acrylic paint to make a new one. 

We have also been developing our awareness of how we can care for the environment by reusing and recycling different items.  We made our own plant food by cutting up banana skins, left over from snack,  into small pieces and adding them to old bottles filled with water.  After a few days, the banana water will be ready to use as plant food to help our strawberry runners to grow.  

Teamwork

by Mrs Sylvester

In the garden, some of the children have been enjoying a story about a hedgehog who learns the importance of friendship and being helpful.  In the story, the hedgehog struggles to remove an apple from his spikes and is helped by a donkey.

To retell the story, we found a toy hedgehog and donkey but we also needed an apple. The children thought we should gather some apples from the apple tree in the nursery garden but unfortunately the apples were out of reach. With little success, the children independently tried to reach the apples using various techniques such as jumping up high, using hula-hoops and even sticks to reach the apples from the branches. 

“I can’t reach. It’s too high!”

However, when the children shared ideas and worked together they were finally able to reach the apples. Just like in the story, the children learnt the value of friendship and teamwork!

“I can get the apple with the hula-hoop. I tried but I didn’t get it. I can’t reach it!”   “I will try with this big stick!”
“I’ll get the crates to stand on. Pass me a stick! I will get it! I got one!”
“We can use the apples for our hedgehog story.”

Fun Friends

by Mrs McGregor

At Glenwood, we use a ‘Fun Friends’ programme to encourage the children to learn new skills and to help build their confidence. ‘Fun Friends’ is aimed at improving communication skills, social skills and building resilience.

These are the skills and phrases that we frequently use with the children:

Here are some snapshot interactions demonstrating ‘Fun Friends’ in action.  It began when one little boy was scared to go down our new slide. Two other children noticed this and offered support to their friend. They were determined to help his confidence and independence by encouraging bravery. They helped him to overcome his fear and then celebrated his achievement with him.

The girls gave the child encouragement.
One of the girls held hands with the child to go down the slide to help him feel safe.
One of the girls then held the child’s hand and supported him to sit at the top of the slide alone.
“Come on! You can do it! I will catch you!”

“Well done! You did amazing!”

The perfect example of kindness, compassion and love at Glenwood.

Our Potato Harvest

We harvested some of the potatoes we have been growing in our garden.

We boiled them to make some yummy mashed potato and used the leftovers to make potato scones for snack. So tasty!

Why not try our recipe at home-

450g floury potatoes, peeled and cooked
1/2tsp salt
50g butter

100g flour

1. Mash potatoes,add salt, butter and flour to give a stiff mixture.
2. Turn out onto floured surface, knead gently and roll out to a thickness of 1cm.
3. Cut into triangles and cook on a hot greased griddle for 4-5 minutes on each side.

I wonder what we will make next….

Onions
onions
beetroot
pumpkins

Sunny Side Up At Glenwood

by Mrs Burnett

Continuing our theme of Spring planting, what a lot we have learned from simply planting a few little sunflower seeds.

Back in March, to set the stage for World Down’s Syndrome Day we used fundraising seed bags donated by one of our lovely children, to sow some sunflowers indoors.

We scrutinised the differences between the seeds of the normal yellow sunflowers and a new red variety we had discovered.

“The black seeds are tiny.”
“Awww the little white ones are so cute! It’s going to be all warm and cosy in here!”
“I want the yellow and red ones.”

We carefully followed the instructions on how to plant the seeds, learning what plants need to grow.

Keen to learn what was happening to our seeds under the soil, we looked at fact books about sunflowers and watched time lapse videos of the sunflower life cycle on the iPad.

“It looks like it’s doing a wee dance.”

We have been checking our pots regularly and when the sunny weather came, we transferred them  to a sheltered spot in the garden. We ordered them by size and gave each one a number and a name including Bonzo, Sunny and Apple Crumble!

“We need to give it some water next”
“A sunflower has to have some sun!”

Developing our numeracy skills, we have been having a go at estimating and then measuring the sunflowers’ height progress, plotting the results on a chart.

During a sunflower health check, we spotted that two plants had mysteriously lost their leaves. On closer examination we noticed a rogue slug and problem solved together…

“Oh yuck…what will we do with the slug?”

“It’s just a baby one.”

“It will eat our sunflowers.”

“We have to take it away from Bonzo!”

“Maybe we could put it in the bug hotel for a holiday?”

Having gently relocated the slug off on its holidays and continuing to provide Bonzo and friends with tender loving care, we are trying hard to be patient as we wait for our sunflowers to bloom.

Roll on summer 😎

Time

by Mrs Clark

Learning about time is an important skill for children because it is something they will use throughout their whole life. 

At Glenwood, we use routines, events and play activities to link with times and seasons to help build our children’s awareness.  

Calendars are a fantastic resource to encourage talk about important events such as birthdays and annual celebrations, and we use these to help our children to learn about dates,  days of the week and months of the year.

We play games such as ‘What’s The Time, Mr Wolf?’ to develop children’s understanding of o’clock and the numbers on a clock face ranging from 1-12.

Having the opportunity to use clocks and watches encourages our children to record and display their own ideas about time and build an understanding of both analogue and digital time.  

We make connections to the changing seasons as we access daily outdoor play and look at resources that we wear or use.  This helps our children to develop an awareness of the features of the four seasons.  

On a daily basis we also make use of visual timetables, sand timers for turn taking,  sing songs, look at books and use online resources to help our children have a greater understanding of time. We also talk about different times of the day e.g. morning, afternoon, evening, and use language associated with time e.g. now, then and next.   

We hope that this gives you some inspiration for things you can try at home!

Let’s Get Ready For Spring…

by Mrs Wilson

The children have been very busy over the last few weeks planning and preparing everything we need to get ready to start planting in our nursery garden.

We made a floor map to add our ideas about what we needed to do and what we would like to grow.

“I’m drawing rain at the top.  Plants need water so they can grow.”

One of the ideas from the floor map was to plant pumpkin seeds so we could grow our own for Halloween.  We learned that pumpkin seeds are planted on their sides and when they are growing they will need lots of water.

“There are lots and lots of weeds here. I need to dig them all out.”

We have been developing our fine and gross motor skills as we used trowels to dig out weeds and turn over the soil in our raised beds so the soil is prepared for planting. Some of the children remembered that last year some of our plants were eaten by slugs, so we decided to go on a slug hunt in the garden so we could remove them.

“This slug is really big. It’s all slimy.”

Using soapy water and sponges we washed out old plant pots so they are ready for planting our new seeds.

“I like the bubbles in the water.”

Potatoes are always a favourite to grow with the children at our family centre.  We used our observation skills and magnifying glasses to learn about chitting seed potatoes to allow the eyes to grow before we can plant them.

“I can see the eyes. They are really small.”

To decide what we are going to plant we used buttons to choose our three favourite fruits or vegetables to grow in the garden.

“I like strawberries.”
“Strawberries are the winners.  They have the most.”

We made a graph using unifix cubes to help interpret the results of our fruit and vegetable survey.

The children are now looking forward to planting in the garden.   This will help to develop their knowledge and understanding about how the different plants grow and how to look after them, as well as the opportunity to taste a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables when they are ready to harvest.

Further information about growing fruits, vegetables and flowers and gardening with children can be found on the following websites:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/education-learning/gardening-children-schools/family-activities/grow-it

https://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/tips-for-gardening-with-children/