Glenwood is an accreditated Breastfeeding Friendly Nursery. Staff in Glenwood have attended Breastfeeding Friendly training and we promote and support breastfeeding. As a Breastfeeding Friendly Nursery we have the following aims and objectives-
Aim-To contribute to social and cultural change by promoting an environment where breastfeeding is seen as the normal way to feed infants and young children.
· To provide appropriate education and training for staff to enable them to promote, protect and support breastfeeding
· To support informed choice in relation to infant feeding
· To increase awareness of sources of support and information for breastfeeding
· To use resources which reflect breastfeeding as the cultural norm
· To provide a welcoming atmosphere for breastfeeding families and to encourage breastfeeding in the public areas of the establishment
· To support breastfeeding staff/users
· To contribute to the promotion of social and attitude change in relation to breastfeeding
· To develop public acceptability and the promotion of breastfeeding
Breastfeeding has many benefits to both mother and baby. It lowers the risk of mum getting breast and ovarian cancer. It naturally uses up about 500 extra calories a day so mums who breastfeed often find it easier to lose their pregnancy weight. It saves money – formula feeding can cost as much as £45 a month. For babies, there is a lower risk of gastroenteritis, respiratory infections, sudden infant death syndrome, obesity, type 1 & 2 diabetes and allergies.
A comprehensive list of the benefits of breastfeeding can be found here–
You are very welcome to breastfeed your child anywhere in Glenwood and staff will be happy to support this by providing anything you require, such as a comfortable chair, a drink of water and, if preferred, you may use the staff room or family room.
As a Breastfeeding Friendly Nursery we support staff returning to work who are breastfeeding as outlined in our Breastfeeding policy and in line with ERC’s policy.