P2/1 – Tuesday 19th May

Hello boys and girls

Here is the link to today’s story.  I am glad to hear that lots of you are enjoying the robot theme and that some people have even started making their own robots. This is a book that I have read before and it is one of my favourite robot stories – I do hope that you enjoy it too .

https://vimeo.com/420012676

Below is a link to a “How to Draw a  Friendly Robot” video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezCNpUapl3c

You might want to turn the sound down though – I think it is a bit annoying!

I am sure that you will have your own ideas for writing and drawing robots, so please remember that these are just ideas and suggestions that the teachers put on the blog pages.

Have fun whatever activities you choose to do and if you have any questions or problems, just send me an email and I’ll get back to you.

Miss McDermott

Good afternoon P1! Monday 18th May 2020

Good afternoon everyone,

I hope you all had a great weekend. Let me know in the comments what nice things you did. My husband baked some very tasty banana and peanut butter muffins this weekend so we sat in the garden to eat them and to read our books.

This week we are continuing our Fairy Tales topic. Perhaps you could try to find out what each person in your family’s favourite fairy tale is and why? Maybe they like one that you haven’t even heard of! I like some of the old Scottish folk stories that my dad used to tell me when I was little. Do you know why I put this photo here?

Our story this week is The Elves and the Shoemaker so I have a challenge for you: can you practise tying your shoe laces? Ask an adult to help you if you can’t do it all by yourself!

What other things could you practise this week to help you become more independent? Zipping your jacket up? Choosing appropriate clothes that match the weather outside? Helping make your own meals? Doing some simple chores around the house or garden?

Let your teacher know what sort of things you have been practising to become more independent. I know some of you have already been doing some of these things, well done!

Have a lovely afternoon,

Take care,

Your P1 Teachers

Bookbug Week

This week is Bookbug week and they are also celebrating turning 10!  Instead of the ladies putting different tasks on the Learning Journals and Blog every day this week, we are asking you to go to the Bookbug site: https://www.scottishbooktrust.com/reading-and-stories/bookbug/bookbug-is-10

The ladies are loving seeing your photographs of what you have been doing so please share on your Learning Journals what you have been up to!

On the Bookbug site, there will be special draw along with Debi Gliori from Monday to Friday where you can learn how to draw Bookbug and some special friends in bitesize films.  Launching on Wednesday 20th, Sprog Rock has created an exclusive new song for the Bookbug app to celebrate Bookbug’s Birthday!

They will have a special celebratory static Bookbug Session for families to try at home themselves on the website on Monday 18th and a new Live with Paul, Bookbug Session on Bookbug’s Facebook page for everyone to join in with on Friday 22nd at  10 am.

There is a home activities hub which will be packed with even more themed ideas to try at home, from making a party hat to colouring in Bookbug.  All through the week they will also have special competitions on their website and social media and be asking for families’ memories of their child’s Bookbug Bags and Bookbug Sessions with their wee ones.

P2A Monday, 18.05.20

Good morning, everyone!

I hope you all had a lovely weekend.  I thought I’d share another of my favourite Mr Men stories – Mr Bump.  He has lots of accidents but it all works out in the end!  Tell someone your favourite part.

This week’s digraph is    oi    and here is Geraldine the Giraffe to help you with this.

There are two other blog posts for all the Primary 2 children  –  one about our new topic, Minibeasts, and one about this week’s maths, 3D Shape.  Have a look at them for all the links to support your learning.

Here is a link to this week’s Learning Grid:     Learning Grid week 7

Have a fun day and just do what you can!

Take care,  Mrs Herbison

P3A Monday 18th May

Good Morning P3A 🙂

I hope you had a relaxing weekend.  I spent time in my garden fixing nets for my pea plants.  They have started to grow a bit taller now and need some support to help them stay upright.  The onions and potatoes seem to be growing well too but I’m not sure about my strawberry plants- I can’t see much happening!  My children helped to pull out some weeds too.

I also tried out the drawing activity from the Week 7 grid.  I tried the Gregosaurus the stegosaurus video.  I am pleased with it 🙂  Send me your pictures if you try any.

This week’s learning grid is on the website and linked below.  New activities and challenges have been set on Heinemann Active and Sumdog too.

https://linlithgowprimary.westlothian.org.uk/article/50794/P3-Home-Learning-Grids

I know lots of you are already keeping in touch.  If you are able to send an email once a week that would be great.

Mrs Bell

Gilbert The Hero

Hi Primary 3,

This week my story for you is ‘Gilbert The Hero’.

And below are the follow on activities you can do. Try to do at least two over the week.

Gilbert the Hero Reading Comprehension

1. What kind of shark is Gilbert?
  2. Why did Rita suggest they put Finn on the swing?
  3. How do you think Finnball is played?
  4. Which word described how they swam to the wreck?
  5. Where exactly did Finn and Rita hide?
  6. Do you think Gilbert was good at looking after Finn? Explain your answer.

Wonderful Writer

During the book, Gilbert is given the responsibility to look after his younger sibling. If you had to look after a younger brother or sister, what would you get up to? Where would you go? How would you make sure they were safe? Write a short story about it.

Book Review

Print out the book review and complete (or create your own version)

Dynamic Designer

Design a play park for Finn, draw it and label its features.

Word Wizard

Find out the dictionary definition of the following words and write them in your own sentence: proud, hurl, urchin, sigh, churn

Artistic Ace

Draw a picture to represent part of the story and write at least 2 sentences to describe your drawing.

Question Master

Design your own Gilbert the Hero quiz or a quiz about sharks. (remember to use question marks)

Rocking Researcher

In the book Gilbert is a shark. Find out about sharks. You could choose one species of shark to draw and write a few facts about.

Here are some files that might help you.

Book Review

Gilbert the Hero Comprehension

Gilbert the Hero Tasks

Gilbert The Hero

Shark Activities

P3B Monday 18th May

Good morning,

First some highlights from my past week: I saw a deer and a hare whilst jogging in the countryside. The deer jumped out of some bushes right in front of me, it was amazing. I’ve been writing a quiz for my big sister who turns 40 on the 23rd, which includes lots of embarrassing photos. Finally, I’ve been painting some rocks inspired by our P3B celebrity. Here is one of my rocks.

I would love to hear about your highlights too.

Please, check out the school website for some P3 resources for home learning this week.

This week my story is ‘Gilbert the Hero’, which I will post about separately. This week it is a revision week for spelling of the last four weeks of rules. Below are the rules you have been practicing. 

My daughters made their own board game which they enjoy playing to practice their spelling words. They also play the game Twister. If they fall they have to spell five words. I wonder what games you might like to play while practicing your words.

During the week let us know how you are getting on by emailing myself and Miss Ross.

Have a great day,

Mr Brice

Monday 18th May 2020 – Good Morning!

Good Morning Primary 1!

I hope that you have all had a lovely weekend and spent some time relaxing with your family. This week we are going to focus on the Fairy Tale The Elves and the Shoemaker.

I wonder if you can find out what makes a story a Fairy Tale?

Home Learning wb 18.5.20

T-L-768-ch-and-sh-Sounds-Matching-Activity-Worksheet

t-l-939-sh-or-ch-sound-phonics-worksheet-_ver_1T-T-3565A-The-Elves-and-the-Shoemaker-Story-Sequencing-Black-and-White

T-T-3674-The-Elves-and-the-Shoemaker-Word-MatT-T-16700-The-Elves-and-the-Shoemaker-Up-to-20-Adittion-SheetT-T-16724-The-Elves-and-the-Shoemaker-Counting-Sheet

I have added the links above which includes our learning grid for this week and a few printable sheets. These sheets are for reference only. Please do not print them out. They will give you ideas of activities to work through and develop with your child.

The Elves and the Shoemaker is a really lovely story about helping others. This is something that we always try and do in Primary 1. I have recorded myself reading the story to get you started and more activities will follow from the Primary 1 teachers  throughout the week.

Have a wonderful week full of learning and fun and remember to stay in touch- even to say hello! Take care and stay safe.

MINIBEASTS P2/1, P2A and P2B 18.05.20

Good Morning, everyone.

This week we are learning about Minibeasts.

Here is a PowerPoint to help you learn about living and non-living things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy60BqCnTG4

You could have a go at this game about living and non-living things.

https://www.sciencekids.co.nz/gamesactivities/plantsanimals.html

This link provides a Scavenger Hunt which you could do at home or outdoors. If you don’t have a printer you could record this information in your jotter.

living non living scavenger hunt

Each week we will focus on a different Minibeast. This week we will find out about bees.

Here is a video about bees for you to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta154f5Rp5Y

This PowerPoint will give you more  information about bees and show you how to make your own Bee Fact File.

Bee Fact File

Can you design and create a bee puppet using junk  and paper? Here are some ideas to help you.

Enjoy your learning and share it with us if you can.

P2/1, P2A and P2B Teachers

3D SHAPE FOR P2/1, P2A and P2B 18.05.20

Good Morning, everyone!

The children will be learning about 3D shapes this week.

BBC Bitesize has some useful clips to get you started. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/zjv39j6/articles/zcsjqty

Below are links to some PowerPoints and some resources which will help support your learning.

Please use these to help you this week.

3d shape hunt

3d shape matching cards

3d shape wordmat

everyday 3D shapes ppt

minibeast shape nets

Name the 3D shape quiz

Sing the 3d shape song from BBC site

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0115gt4

If you would like to make a 3D Robot these pictures might give you some ideas.

Have a look at the Heinemann Active Maths site for some more learning activities, too.

Have fun!

P. 2/1,  P.2A and  P.2B Teachers

PRIMARY 2B MONDAY, 18.05.20

Good Morning

I hope you all had a good weekend and managed to get outside, even though the weather was not so good. On Saturday I went for a walk round the loch and on Sunday I walked along the canal and the River Avon. We are very lucky to live in a place where we have such lovely walks on our doorstep.

Here is this week’s learning Grid.

Learning Grid 18 -22 May

Today there is a blog post with resources to help you learn about  3D shape  and another post with information and ideas to support our Minibeast topic. These are only suggested activities. Please don’t feel that you have to do everything. Just do what you can.

I have added a link to a phonics clip which will help you to practise blending words with the oi sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMdtke9HZVE

This game lets you try to complete words using  oi or  oy .

https://www.softschools.com/language_arts/phonics/games/oi_oy_sounds.jsp

Maybe you would like to listen to story about Mr Noisy.

Have a lovely day. Please try and check in with us every week if you can to let us know how things are going and to share your learning.

Mrs Mills