A Taste of South Africa

Article 30

You have the right to enjoy your own culture, practice your own religion and use your own language

Primary 5 had a fantastic afternoon on Thursday after they received a visit from Lizette Dredge as part of our South Africa topic.

She began by telling us some stories about her life growing up, including how strict her school was.  Lizette explained that some of the rules still exist today such as; if your hair touches your shoulder or longer, it must be tied up at all times; skirts must be no shorter than knee length, but that, thankfully, smacking on the hand with a ruler has now been banned.   One of the most impressive stories that Lizette told us was that at her friends wedding in the Union Buildings in Johannesburg, she had met, shaken hands and spoken to Nelson Mandela!!!

We learned about the gold and diamond miners in South Africa and their unique language – Fanagalo.  It was used because the South African mining industry employed workers from across southern and central Africa: including Congo, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana, Malawi and Mozambique. With workers originating from a range of countries and having a vast range of different mother tongues, Fanagalo provided a simple way to communicate and is still used.

Then came the best bit – the food tasting.  Thanks to Lizette and her husband we enjoyed a big selection of foods traditional to South Africa such as biltong, droewors (beef and ostrich), rusks, bobotie, mieliepap with a tomato dipping sauce and Koeksisters.

We would like to say a huge thank you to Lizette for giving up her afternoon to spend it and share her experiences with us.

14 thoughts on “A Taste of South Africa”

1. It was so good, because I enjoyed the food and Finlay thought one of the foods was chicken curry!
    I also learned lots when Lizette came because she actually lived during apartheid in South Africa!

2. All the foods were delicious!* My favourite food was the white ground corn. Warning: only delicious with sauce! I hope Lizette liked our song!

* excluding lasagne

3. lezet was really kind and brought some awesome food, me and cameron thought the cook sisters was the best that was for desert. it was brown and curly!we had juices and the food was south african IT WAS AWESOME

from oliver stewart and cameron macaulay

4. I loved everything. It made me think I was South African. The food was delicous! My favorite food was the cook sisters. Thanks Lezet!

5. The food was yummy and that was an amazing story as well. I liked the food and the yellow rice was the best. A cool story. The food I liked best was the cook sisters, they were yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!.

6. This was an exelent expirence! We learnt lots when Lizette came in and told us about her past in South Africa. We thought it could not get any better… but it did! Lizette came out with lots of different South African foods for us to try. Some were delicious like: koeksisters and bobotie
    Some were ok like:billtong.
    The others I did not particularly like.

From Paige Sinclair

7. it was amazing to taste all the food but Ali and Terri loved the keoksisters it was a doughnut dipped in syrup with cinommin and ginger sprinkled on top.

8. We really enjoyed all the different foods. Our favourite was koeksisters. Thank you Lizette!

9. This was amazing the food was brilliant my favourite was koeksisters. there was also beef,biltong, and even ostrich . (i didn’t think that was very nice)

10. What a wonderful experience for everyone in primary 5. The food was absolutely delicious, especially the koeksisters!
    We were amazed when we found out Lizette had actually met Nelson Mandela! What a wonderful honour.
    Thank you so much for taking the time to visit us and cook for us Lizette!