Prior Knowledge

Prior Knowledge is one of our reading Comprehension Strategies

L.I. Prior Knowledge – To use my prior knowledge to help me predict what this book is about.

We use our prior knowledge all the time to make decisions, you might decide on which film to watch because you know something about it, or the actors who are in it. When you choose a book you will use your prior knowledge to help you choose.

In your home learning jotter, remember DUMTUMS, the title will be The name of the book. You can type if you like.

Put the first heading Before Reading.

Make predictions about what the book will be about based on the title, front cover and any prior knowledge of the subject.

• Look at the front cover – the picture, the title and the author’s name. Do you already know anything about this author and the type of books she or he writes?
  • Does the picture or the title give you any clues as to what this book may be about?

Write down what you think may happen in this book.
Now look at the back cover and read the blurb, then note down any further ideas this may give you.

Read first chapter. Were you right, add to your writing, give a second heading After Reading.

If you are writing make sure your handwriting in neat. Writing or typing check your capital letters, fullstops, and spelling.

You can take a picture of your jotter or send the document to me. If you take a picture make sure it is clear before you send it!

Author: John Johnston

I am a teacher, currently working in Banton Primary for North Lanarkshire Council. I also act as Product Owner/provide support for Glow Blogs.