Newton Farm Primary School and Nursery Class

Our New Learning 📚

In Room 6 this week, we have moved on to a new spelling sound, this being ‘ow’ as in owl. We have enjoyed getting the magnetic boards out and working collaboratively to practise these words. We also had fun identifying these in a phoneme story yesterday. We found it interesting that this sound is spelled the same as a previous phoneme we looked at (‘ow’ as in snow) and we are working to identify which words have which ‘ow’ sound.
In Numeracy, we have now moved on to subtraction. We have been consolidating our subtraction within 10 this week and familiarising ourselves with different tools we can use to help us, such as number lines, number squares, cubes and our fingers. We discussed the difference between addition and subtraction and are trying to remember that we count backwards on the number line when completing minus sums. We are feeling confident with these calculations.
We have moved on to a new topic in Health and Wellbeing this week and are now focussing on ways to have a healthy lifestyle. We watched a short video explaining different ways we can stay healthy, which looked at factors such as eating healthy foods, drinking water, exercising, washing our hands and sleeping well. We then made a poster about this information, making sure to make these visual and eye-catching. Yesterday, we had a great time working in groups to create fitness routines before showing these to our peers. We are excited to use these routines in PE lessons.
As part of our Literacy last week, we were concentrating on the summarising strategy. We found that this strategy can be used to identify the main points of a story without giving every single detail. We read the book ‘Monster’s Inc – The Little Basket’ and used this story in pairs to create a piece of work that showed what happened at the beginning, middle and end of the book. We worked hard to build sentences along with a picture. We are continuing to try and remember capital letters, finger spaces and full stops. Have a look at some of our work!
Below are some comments from our learning this week:
BrMc, BlMc, RF, OM, SI, HG – I 100% loved doing PE with Room 5.
DT, AbS – I loved to do the skeleton with Miss Smith.
SG, QJO – I loved making up the exercises in groups for Health and Wellbeing. We wanted to run 35 laps. 
HH – I liked doing the posters about staying healthy.
IW – I liked making the posters with exercises and want to do gymnastics. 
HW – I liked doing the new sound ‘ow’.
SJ – I loved doing the giraffes to show what we can do and what we can’t do yet. 
Have a great week!
Room 6 and Mrs Rae 😊