Welcome to our Home to Early Learning Class Transition Page
– (Education Scotland, Realising the Ambition:Being Me, 2020)
Transition is going to look a little different this year, however we endeavour to do as much as possible to ensure that your child’s transition is as smooth as can be.
Please have a read of our updated ELC Brochure for 2021-2022.
The staff at Sunnyside ELC have created a virtual tour for you to see inside out ELC setting.
Please watch Miss Lauren Barclay reading “The Colour Monster” as part of our Transition Book Study.
Over the course of the week there will be different activities posted to accompany our Transition Book story “The Colour Monster”. These activities will be linked to the following Curricular Areas:
Health and Well – Being
If you would like to participate in these activities and show us all your hard work, please tweet us at @sunnyside_ps or email the school directly.
-Please state if you give your permission for your child’s photo to be uploaded the website.
Monday 24th May 2021 – Literacy
- Please watch and listen to the colour monster story
- Write down what you liked / disliked about the story
- Draw your favourite colour monster
Tuesday 25th May 2021- Expressive Arts
- Using loose parts, can you make a colour monster? (See below for some ideas)
- Can you find a way to make emotion music? ( Try using household items such pots and pans and empty bottles to express how you are feeling)
Wednesday 26th May 2021 – Health and Well Being
- Listen to the story again
- Make a feeling’s bottle
- Discuss the different feelings that the colour monster experiences. What makes you happy, sad, calm, angry, worried?
Thursday 27th May 2021 – Numeracy
- Listen to the story again
- Roll a dice and determine what your colour monster looks like!
- Can you feed your monster, you will need to create your own 5/10 frame and see how many snacks your monster needs!
- Why not go on a colour hunt around your home and see how many colours you can match to the colour monster!
- Can you bake your own colour monster by following a recipe?
Friday 28th May 2021 – STEM
- Listen to the story for a final time
- Can you create a model of what you would like your colour monster to look like. Try using lego, dolls, blocks or loose parts!
- Can you make flowers change colour to match the colour monster?
- Can you make your own playdough colour monster?
Our ELC Virtual Tour
Please take a moment to explore our virtual tour of the ELC setting. I wonder what your favourite activity will be!?
Meet The ELC Team
Please take a moment to hear a welcome message from all of us here at Sunnyside ELC. We look forward to meeting you all soon.
Virtual Transition Library
Take a look at our ELC library in line with our 15 core book that have been specifically chosen to enhance children’s early reading and comprehension skills, such as; empathy, rhyming and intertextuality. Each month the children vote which book they want to focus on as their “Story of the Moment”, ensuring their voice is heard.