St Margaret’s Spanish Transition

Reluctantly, I woke up from my humble deep sleep.
Until my heart was filled with content as I remembered today was transition day! Would my excitement turn into nerves! I was really elated but felt anxious as I knew no-one at the school. Although my nerves started to kick in, I enjoy learning new languages so that put me off my nerves a bit, As I was getting ready to leave school ,I started to wonder what languages we would be learning “Probably French or Spanish ” I said Cautiously I walked onto the creaky grey floor of the luminous yellow bus to begin our excursion.

Finally we arrived at St Margaret’s the big walls looked very frightening but I loved the entrance because it looked old fashioned. As I entered the huge grounds of St Margaret’s I was astonished. I knew it was big but I never noticed the atrium was colossal. Soon our Spanish teacher accompanied us up to the Spanish classroom. I knew it was Spanish straight away as my classmate Alejandro is fluent in Spanish and talked to Senora Wallace and Senora Murphy like it was English. The unusual classroom had tables and chairs in rows which is very different than what we have. Their smart board is also much bigger than ours which I prefer because it is much easier to present power point presentations. Soon we got spilt up into two groups and my group went into a different classroom. Our first assignment was to learn some Spanish weather phrases which I really enjoyed. While I was writing down some phrases, I heard a peculiar noise and was soon told that it was the bell for next period. Curiously I walked to the dinner hall to find two tables waiting for us to have lunch.”Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr” Previously that buzzer rang for a new period, but was it for that time? I took back my words as a mob of starving wolves (or so that’s what they looked like) ran down the stairs as if a huge piece of raw meat was wanting for them. Overall lunch was a brand new experience which was not to enjoyable but had its likes and dislikes. After our lunch, we played some cool Spanish weather phrases games and then it was time for us to leave the colossal, majestic building. I really enjoyed the first day but it was very weird…

“Ahhhh” another transition day was ahead of the bright blue sky and I was filled with glee. This time I felt very confident as I got to know the school a lot last time. Instead of my excitement turning into nerves this time my nerves turned into excitement. (Which I think is much better) Curiously I entered St. Margaret’s for the second time and I was wondering what assignment we would get, not noticing just how big that ‘assignment ’ was. We had to create a Spanish forecast. I got in a group with Lewis and Kayleigh (who didn’t show up) which made me very nervous. Lewis and I agreed that we would be able to do the presentation just the two of us, which we managed very well. Our country was Valencia so we had to do a lot of research for Valencia. After we got all our information it was our lunch and I was very hungry. When the buzzer buzzed I knew that the “wolves” were coming so I was not bothered at the slightest. After our lunch Lewis and I started to make our script and planned out how we would present our forecast. It was as if an hour flew by because I felt I started when we had to go. After another day of transition I felt almost like I had stayed at St Margaret’s for a month!

“Yippeeee!” It was the last day of transition and I felt distraught that it was the final day but filled with joy and nerves as Lewis and I were presenting our forecast. For once I quite enjoyed the bus journey because I had our presentation to look forward to. Senorita Wallace and Senorita Murphy led us up to the Spanish room for the last time and taught us some tongue twisting vocabulary. Vocabulary work really helped me as I really had to read quite a lot for the forecast. After practising our vocabulary I had a tasty lunch (so did the wolves) and went back to the Spanish room. After watching other groups perform it was our turn. I felt very nervous as we were being filmed but kept my confidence going and completed our forecast! Lewis and I were very pleased and we felt like we just climbed Ben Nevis. Soon all the groups were finished a…. Please walk to the closest fire exit in orderly fashion beep!” it was a huge shock and I could not believe my eyes when there was a fire as we were about to leave!”
What a way to end my transition …..

Sohaib