Assessing Children’s Progress
The annual S3 Standardised Assessments: “Assessing Children’s Progress” take place between October & December in Balfron High School.
S3 testing is part of the Scottish Government’s strategy to introduce a consistent set of standardised assessments to determine pupil progress in Literacy and Numeracy at stages P1, P4, P7 and S3.
Further information can be found by clicking the link below.
The points below (hopefully!) summarise the information that parents need.
- Pupils in S3 only will sit the Standardised Assessments.
- Assessments are mandatory.
- There is no revision required or possible – no teaching for the test, at home or in school.
- There will be 3 assessments (1 for Numeracy, 2 for Literacy).
- The assessments are completed on a computer, online.
- Assessments are computer adaptive, meaning that the questions will get easier if the pupil is struggling and harder if the pupil finds the questions too easy.
- Each assessment will last a maximum of 50 minutes (1 period)
- We intend to share the outcomes from assessments with parents, as part of the regular reporting schedule. However, until we are clear on the format of the data results, this cannot be confirmed.
This session’s planned schedule is shown below.
Week 1: Tues 13th November – Numeracy
Week 2: Tues 20th November – Literacy 1
Week 3: Tues 27th November – Literacy 2
Tuesday P2: 3L1 in A3, 3L2 in A4, 3E1 in A5, 3E3 in A6
Tuesday P6: 3C1 in A3, 3C2 in A4, 3C3 in A5