INCLEMENT WEATHER/ SCHOOL CLOSURE
- Pupils should be made aware that if the bus normally used to come to school is withdrawn, because of the weather or for any other reason, they should wait for a reasonable time. If the bus does not appear pupils should return home. If the weather is bad enough for the buses not to be running then the pupils should NOT attempt to walk or to accept lifts.
- Closing the school because of inclement weather is always a last resort. Every effort will be made to keep the school open even if school transport is not available. How decisions are made in the event of inclement weather and the procedures for school closure or running a reduced service are shown in Appendix 1.
- The Headteacher is aware of the very great efforts made by staff and pupils to get into school from outlying districts in, at times, quite dreadful conditions and every effort will be made to get accurate information out as early as possible. However there will be times when this is just not possible and staff may have arrived in school only to be told that the school is closing. Sometimes the school buses bring pupils in to school and then the school has to be closed.
- In the event of the school having to close during the school day, either because of bad weather or some other reason, then members of teaching staff will be allowed to leave after the pupils have been safely escorted onto their buses. If members of staff have to catch one of these buses then they may do so if they have arranged for pupils who remain to be supervised by a colleague. Support staff are normally expected to remain in school and provide an information service to any parents / callers.
- If the decision is taken to close the school before the start of the school day or run a reduced service, all staff will be notified in person as early as possible.
- When the decision to close or to provide a reduced education service has been made, the school will send out a group call to all parents to alert them. In addition, every effort will be made to inform staff and parents by Radio Scotland or Radio Clyde. The school website will also have the up-to-date information. www.balfronhigh.org.uk. Stirling Council’s website also aims give information about Balfron High School.
- It is the responsibility of every parent to have a safe place for their child to go in the case of the school being closed.
Weather deterioration during the school day
- If the weather deteriorates and there is concern about a safe route home from school, the bus company will be contacted to discuss the road conditions and the transport from school by bus. A representative of the Bus Company will assess the road conditions for school transport and then the Headteacher will decide whether to bring the buses in early to ensure safe transport home for pupils.
- The Headteacher will contact Stirling Council – the Contact Centre on 0845 277 7000 and email the Head of Education, with a copy to the Service Manager, Resources.
- A group call will be sent to all parents to alert them that pupils are going to be sent home early.
Weather deterioration before the school day
- If there is concern about the weather, and there is concern about a safe route home from school, the bus company will be contacted to discuss the road conditions and the transport from school by bus. The Headteacher will contact the bus company as early as 6 am. A representative of the Bus Company will assess the road conditions for school transport.
- The Headteacher, will decide whether to cancel the transport to school. If the Headteacher decides that the school is accessible and there will be enough staff in school to run a reduced service, then the school will be opened for pupils, who can make the journey to and from school safely in the absence of school transport.
- Alternatively if the weather is such that travel by road is not safe then the school will be closed.
- The Headteacher will contact Stirling Council – the Contact Centre on 0845 277 7000 and email the Head of Education, with a copy to the Service Manager, Resources with the decision.
- A group call will be sent to all parents to alert them that the school is running a reduced service or is closed.
- Information about school closure or running a reduced service will be posted on the school website.