APPEALS UPDATE – August 11th 2020
Any pupil who received a final grade below their estimate grade will be automatically ‘uplifted’ to the estimate grade.
Any pupil who received a final grade equal to, or higher than, their estimate grade will remain unchanged.
The information below is no longer valid.
Due to Covid-19, SQA implemented an alternative model of certification based on Estimates submitted by schools. All schools were required by SQA to provide Estimates that were based on demonstrated evidence, that included Prelims, class tests, etc.
In July, SQA carried out their own data procedures and produced the Final Awards that were issued to pupils on August 4th. Final Awards may be higher, lower or the same as the submitted Estimates.
Where the Final Award is lower than the Estimate, it is possible for the school to submit an Appeal to SQA. When an Appeal is submitted, the school has to send to SQA all of the demonstrated evidence used to make the Estimate.
Appeals cannot be submitted for candidates where the Final Award is the same or higher than the Estimate. Please also note that, due to GDPR regulations, Estimates and Appeals can only be discussed with the pupil concerned. Any parent wishing to do so is required to submit a Mandate Form, signed by the pupil to the school office. Please click here for further information from Stirling Council.
Making An Appeal
If you are a Balfron High School pupil who wishes to appeal a Final Award, you should click here and use this form to make your request. You will be asked to log into your school google @stirlingschools.net email address. By doing so, you are confirming your identity.
(If you have any problems logging into your @stirlingschools.net address, you can seek help here)
What happens next?
- You will be contacted via your provided school email address to confirm whether you are eligible for an appeal or not.
- Your consent is required to submit an Appeal. Your request, and logged identity is deemed to be evidence of your consent.
- Subject PTs will collate evidence and submit your appeal to SQA.
- If you have applied to university and an appeal is critical to your entry, you must submit your request to us as soon as possible, and by Tuesday 11th August at the latest.
- All other requests must be made to us as soon as possible, and by Tuesday 18th August at the latest.