Stromness Academy Library

Books, reading and life in a school library

Reading Challenge well under way

Over half the books in the challenge box have now been borrowed by enthusiastic pupils. Some have been less than overwhelmed with their choices, but that was the challenge: to read somthing they normally wouldn’t pick off the shelves. A few mini reviews have already been returned and some of the pupils comments are noted below:

Mermaid Curse: The Silver Dolphin by Louise Cooper

Lucy Baxter is thrilled when her family moves to Cornwall. She doesn’t realise it, but she has a special connection with the sea and everyting in it. Good book, nice sentences, powerful and clever storyline. A future classic. 5«   ?

Space Cowboy by Justin Stanchfield

While out herding cattle on a remote planet, Travis comes across his worst nightmare and he is given the job of tracking it down. It killed lots of animals and even killed two men. He found out it was man-made and designed to kill. I thought it was really good, it was mind gripping and exciting. It was also scary but overall I enjoyed it. 5«       CB

Escape from the Dark by Peter Lancett

A girl is ill. She goes to see the Dark Man. She got followed. It was a very very short book but I liked it. I recommend this book to people who like reading short stories. 3«  NC         This book is part of a series aimed at reluctant readers. It has great illustrations and very little text. FS

Ghost in the Screen by Paul Blum

Iti s a really sad story about a mother killing her child as she had a baby girl and wasn’t married, she is trying to do the same to her granddaughter. I was very upset when I heard that the Grandmother had killed her child. I recommend this book to people who like emotional stories. 4« NC