The library operates within Stromness Academy’s Behaviour Policy:
Use of Library
School behaviour expectations (Code of Conduct for classroom, use of mobile phones*, corridors, and social areas) all apply in the library.
This also includes COVID (& other respiratory illness) mitigations:
- Face coverings are encouraged.
- Windows should be open or on ventilation.
- Hand sanitising continues.
- Desk and equipment cleaning continues.
- Physical distancing is encouraged. Where space permits pupils should be spread out.
Behaviour Expectations Specific to the Library
- Visit the library to read, use resources, study, do research or use computers.
Before school and break times, you may also play board games, use the PCs for leisure (work will get priority) or take part in the activities on offer or organise your own. Upper library for seniors can be used during break times for quiet reading or work. It isn’t regarded as a social area. S1-3 can ask permission to use it.
- [Plain] Water is allowed but should be kept in schoolbags when not in use.
- Place schoolbags under your chair or table. Alternatively leave neatly along the wall just inside the main entrance (from English corridor)
- *Mobile Phones – During social times (before school, interval, and lunchtime) the library is intended to be a mobile phone free zone. Mobile phones should be on silent or flight mode, and remain in schoolbags. Permission may be requested for education purposes, however this should be limited – PCs are available for internet access.
- Always bring your library card and planner.
- Get all resources issued by the Librarian before you take them out of the library.
- Return books you have looked at to the correct place on the shelfs or display where you found them.
- Return borrowed books to the black box on table in front of issue desk and tell the librarian.
- Leave furniture (including bean bags and soft seating) where it is.
- Ask permission before using the PCs or laptops. Always sign the log sheets (inc. date & time).
- Don’t change the set up or download software.
- Always log off the computers.
- PCs – sign the logbook on the table in front of the issue desk.
- Laptops: Library use – sign log sheet on trolley.
- Laptops: Class use (not S6 room) – bring your library card and get the laptop issued by the librarian. If she is not available (please check elsewhere in library first), you may sign the log sheet.
Replace laptops to correct numbered slot on the trolley and plug it in for charging.