Donations are always welcome and have long formed a small part of stock development. The school appreciates gifts of books or other resources and are accepted on the understanding that they will be retained, discarded and used at the discretion of the library. Donations of books will be accepted with respect to the following criteria:
- Paperback or hardback books in very good or excellent condition
- Are appropriate to the library collection and will be assessed in line with the library’s selection policy for purchased materials.
- Given without any conditions on the understanding they become the property of Stromness Academy.
We cannot use:
- Dated texts such as almanacs or other annual publications
- Non-fiction – eg. travel guides, text books, academic books more than 5 years old
- Magazines more than 1 year old
- Retail videos / DVDs of films or TV programmes