The library opens at 8.35 in the morning. Pupils can come in to return or borrow books, use the computers for work or leisure, catch up with homework, or as most do, just socialise quietly. Due to increased number of pupils waiting to use the library before registration, it is necessary to reduce congestion and noise in the English corridor. Pupils should avoid queuing outside the library before 8.35am.
The Library is open:
- 12:35 – 1:15pm [Mon – Thurs]
- 12:25 – 1:05pm [Fri]
Pupils can use the library at lunchtime for the following purposes:
- To do homework
- Use the computers
- Do some research
- Read books
- Read magazines
- Use the Internet
Leisure use is permitted but pupils shouldn’t:
- Just stand around or wander about
- Chat noisily
- Disturb other pupils or staff
We also have a variety of Lunchtime activities throughout the week:
- Miniature Painting
- Chess / Draughts Club
- Magic the Gathering
- ‘Luncheon & Dragons’
- Excelsior Award (Jan – Mar)
As well as being open during the school day the library is also at the following times after school: Tuesday 3.35 – 4.45pm (arrange your own transport) / Monday, Wednesday & Thursday: 3.35 – 4.00pm (by prior arrangement with the Librarian)
Opening is subject to meetings and availability of the Librarian. Keep an eye to daily bulletin for changes.
- To provide a venue with a quiet and relaxed atmosphere for study.
- To provide access to a wide variety of resources and information.
- To support homework, research, study, course work, folios and exam revision.
Who Will Benefit?
All pupils would benefit from using the library after school for their schoolwork and supporting their studies in particular:
- Pupils without good facilities at home. eg. space, computer, books.
- Pupils who have other distractions at home. eg. brothers / sisters, television, computer games.
- Pupils meeting deadlines for course work, folios, etc; and those doing revision for prelim and SQA exams.
- Pupils who like to separate school life from home and never take their school bags home.
It would be a good opportunity for you to get homework done leaving you to enjoy home and letting you do the things you want. eg. hobbies, etc.
What Else is on Offer?
Mrs Sinclair will offer individual help with computers, Internet and can give advice with research if necessary.
Tuesday afternoons: ‘Dungeons & Dragons’; board games; reading; study; research.
The choice is yours!
Pupils should make their own arrangements for transport home. The X1 bus heading to Kirkwall via Finstown leaves the Academy at 17:05.
How to Sign Up
Pupils can just turn up before registration or at lunchtime.
- Pupils should see the Librarian, Mrs Sinclair, in advance if they wish to use the library after school.
- Pupils should sign the after-school register on the issue desk on arrival in the library.
- Pupils using the library after school should behave in the same manner expected of them during the school day.