What is Parental Engagement?
Parental Engagement at Newark Primary is all about supporting pupils and their learning. It is about parents and teachers working together in partnership to help children become more confident and able learners. Parents, carers and families are by far the most important influences on children’s lives. Evidence has shown that parents who take on a supportive role in their children’s learning make a huge difference in improving achievement and behaviour.
At Newark Primary we actively encourage parent engagement , we need the support of our parents to be truly ambitious and excellent!
We work hard to involve parents in all aspects of the school, below are a few activities which we offer here at Newark Primary.
- Regular phone calls and text message alerts.
- Wednesday is our ‘letter day’ to inform parents of important upcoming events
- School newsletters and also individual class newsletters.
- Twitter in all classes allows parents to be involved in their children’s learning.
- Shared Learning activities where parents are encouraged to work with their children on a piece of home learning.
- All teachers at Newark have an open door policy
- Parent information evenings are held regularly
- Parents Nights and Reports to discuss achievements and next steps
- Meet the teacher days and Learning in Action days
- Personal Learning Plans (PLPs) go home and are shared with parents every term.
- Parent workshops on new learning schemes (E.g. Active literacy)
- Family Learning Club is held on Mondays after school
- Sports T Club on Thursdays after school
- Parent Drop in is held on a Friday morning from 9am
- Parent Action Group which is held on the first Thursday of the month – All Welcome!
- World of Work week encourages parents to discuss their careers with the children across the school.
- Parents and carers are invited to class assemblies.
- Celebrating achievement is very important at Newark. Please see the drop down menu if you would like to celebrate your child’s achievement at school.
We have a clear parental involvement policy in place at Newark which recognises that parents and staff are partners in education and we welcome and encourage the involvement of parents in all aspects of the school. If you would like more information on any of the parental involvement activities we would be delighted if you ree to contact us at the school.