Developing the Young Workforce

I am the Developing the Young Workforce Co-ordinator  at Hillpark Secondary School, providing a range of curricular opportunities for our young people to gain an insight of the opportunities available to them post-school and to access valuable experiences in the world of work to prepare them for the challenges ahead of them.  I have considerable experience in the area of DYW including developing business links, liaising with a wide range of partners and providing one to one support as well as group work for our young people.

I have always made certain that my role is to liaise with external providers and Education Services to gain as much support as possible for our young people.  Liaising with such, ensures that our young people will reap the benefits through the various partnerships that are forged.

I  have been involved in organising numerous industry related experiences e.g. Hospitality Events, Engineering Events, Glasgow City Chambers, School Career Events, Pupil talks from specific industry sectors, taking pupils out into the workplace and letting them see first-hand what the world of work offers.  I have frequently held assemblies in school to advise young people of current opportunities that have arisen.  I also feel it is my duty to ensure that the staff in schools know my role.

The end result for me has got to be a positive destination.  It is my main goal to ensure that any young person leaving school goes to employment, college, university or an apprenticeship.  Following up on these positive destinations to ensure that the young people are managing to sustain is vitally important.  My job is never done – checking and re-checking.