S4 and S5 Course Choice Presentation
We recommend that all learners and parents/carers watch this video before you begin the process of considering and discussing your course choices for next year.
Welcome to the Fourth and Fifth Year Information Handbook
Dear S4 and S5 Learner
This handbook is for you and your parents. It includes a range of topics which will help you in some of the important decisions you will require to make for your future in Peebles High School and beyond.
Your handbook is not just about making subject choices but helping you to consider the consequences of whatever decisions you make. When you have to make decisions, do not just do what you would like to do, but also consider what is likely to have the best or, at least, good consequences for you.
You should set yourself challenging targets in the senior school and can only expect to achieve them by working hard. You are and will be in competition with many talented learners across Scotland. We believe that you can be up there with the best of them.
I hope you have a successful year.
This handbook is full of information to support you and your child make the best choices and contains:
- An overview of the curriculum on offer
- An S4/5 course choice presentation (this video replaces the normal course choice information evening and is full of essential information)
- An overview of the support programme
- A course choice preparation form to support conversation at home (from the pastoral team)
- The course choice sheet
- The course choice descriptors
- The link to enter choices online at home
- Links to various support websites e.g. PlanIt Plus and My World of Work.
Further support and information:
- From January Pastoral teachers will be working with their PSE classes on the S4/5 options process, giving information and advice.
- If your child is finding it difficult to make their choices they can request an interview with the pastoral team. You will find out more in the presentation mentioned above.
- The S4/5 reports will be issued from the 18th February.
- The S4/5 options completion deadline is the 8th March. Please note that this is online and should be done with parents at home. The S4/5 course choice presentation will walk you through the process.
- It is important that choices are submitted on time as late submission may increase the chance of your reserve choice being used
Using the handbook
The contents have been thought out carefully to support you.
You should refer to the handbook from time to time for advice.
Please consult with your pastoral teacher if you require clarification on any point.
Which courses are for you?
Before selecting a course you must carry out research to ensure that you understand fully what you are going to study, how hard it will be and how you will be assessed. You also need to know why you are taking the course. Is it because it is an essential entry requirement for further study or employment, because you enjoy the area of study and/or because you feel you have talents in this field? It might even be all three!
You will find lots of helpful tools and information to help with subject choices online. A few recommended and very helpful websites are listed below:
Courses everyone will study (Core)
- School Study – 5 periods (please add to your choice sheet)
- Personal & Social Education – 1 period
- Physical Education S5 – 1 period
- Physical Education S6 – 1 period (optional)
S4 must choose 5 courses and school study.
S5 must choose a minimum of 4 courses or 3 AH courses and school study.
You need to chose a reserve in case one of your choice is unavailable
In most case you will be timetabled to 5 periods for each of these.
Course Choice Descriptors
LEAPS Transitions Course (S6 only – check with your pastoral teaching regarding eligibility)
Course Choice Sheet and Link to Online Choice Entry
Please remember to enter your choices online below. (You will need your unique log in details – these will be distributed on return to school):
(Please enter your choices above by the 8th March at the latest as a late submission may increase the chance of your reserve being used)
There is an opportunity to continue core PE into S6. Please note that this does not count as a course choice. If you would link to sign up click on the link below:
Please take the time to read our recoursing policy below:
Further information on curriculum developments and the shape of the new National Qualifications that your child will sit in the Senior Phase can be found on the SQA website. www.sqa.org.uk
The SCQF is a way of comparing Scottish qualifications to other qualification frameworks. It does this by giving each qualification a level and a number of credit points. See the diagram below: