Stromness Academy Library

Books, reading and life in a school library

S1 Library Induction

During the first term, S1 pupils learn how to use the library by doing a Library Induction course. Pupils, in pairs, do a variety of activities covering a range of skills, from information gathering off the library web site, refreshing alphabetical order and using a map to find their way around the library. They are introduced to ALICE, the library catalogue and learn how to find non-fiction books using the Dewey Decimal Classification. This five week journey should then enable them to use the library independently in the future.

ind

At the end of the course pupils evaluate what they have done, revisiting parts they found difficult as well as providing their comments about the library and the course and suggesting books.

I enjoyed finding things round the library.

I quite liked doing the workbook but I didn’t really enjoy doing the mapwork and numbering the places in the library. I really like the library and I like the way it is set up with all of the desks and sofa and chairs.

I didn’t mind the library induction because it let me get used to the library.

I think the library induction was good and I would like more car books and magazines.

I enjoy the library because it is a place you can come to sit quietly and read a book without any noise.

I found locating books hard.

I enjoyed most of the activities in the booklet but I thought nearer the end it was getting boring.

I didn’t enjoy some of the Dewey Number activities.

The thing I like about the library is all the comfy seats you can rest o n and that you can go on the computers to play games.

I liked working with different people.

I found the course easy and helpful. I spend a lot of time in the library (lunch and morning) and I read a lot. So I have had a go of finding books in the the library. I think the ALICE system is useful and clever.